Battlefleet Gothic Terrain - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Battlefleet Gothic Terrain

A while back I started BFG and Full Thrust but wanted a bit more than just the card cut-outs representing terrain but needed to be robust for transportation. I went about looking for a simple solution to get about it and I thought I'd post my findings for anyone who'd come across a similar problem, seeing as I found few references at the time (Also an opportunity to show off my own work):

02102011334.jpg
    Overall theme

02102011335.jpg
    Meteor Swarms

02102011336.jpg
    Dust Clouds

02102011338.jpg
    Planet/Moon and Larger Asteroids (for Full Thrust)

The board itself was not made by me, I bought it from a chap called Eric Hotz who sells a variety of felt mats:
    Space Mat

The Asteroids and Meteor Swarms were made from larva rocks (Campingaz supplies loads for dirt cheap) and attached to bases with 2mm aluminium tubes (I luckily have a local model store which supply these but I assume you can get these from a DIY/art store). The smaller rocks were achieved through just smashing them with a hammer. I went for GW slot bases and filled in the space with green stuff but a neater option would be to drill 2mm holes.

The Planet was a simple polystyrene half sphere (I just looked up an online store on google) mounted on corrugated card coated with pva glue and tissue paper for the texture and be able to spray the thing without it melting on me.

Lastly the dust clouds was mounted on bases just as I did with the meteor swarms but used cotton wool dipped in a pva water mix with some black paint for colouring. When dried the look is as the pictures show but it more solid so it can with stand the wear and tear of being handled.

"Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

You know, ping-pong balls make great little moons/planetoids.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

it all looks very good how do you find it to play on dose stuff get in the way of your ships ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

I never thought of ping pong balls for planets, such a simple idea I don't know how I could of missed it. I shall take a look into it.

As for the terrain itself I find that it doesn't get in the way too much as bits can be moved if required, so long as the outline of the area that terrain represents doesn't change it's fine for competitive play, but seeing as I'm more of a casual gamer they work perfectly.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

+ Reply to Thread