Transfers And Banners - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hola folks,

Alrighty, my freehand isn't what it used to be, and I just have the darndest time freehanding anything on a more or less completed miniature as I'm afraid I'm gonna bugger the hell out of it and have to pinesol the thing.

So, I'm interested in TRANSFERS, nothing in particular, though Chaos signs would be more than appreciated, as I think they look rather top notch and if all else fails, I can toss it on there and then paint over it to give it the painted look. Same can be said for banners.

Anyhow, I can't find any! None, no where, nadda, zip, zilch.

Anyhow have a clue where I can purchase some, or, in a pinch, how I can create some? I've tried internet searches over the last few days and it has gotten me no where. Any clues would be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you should practise freehand, after my oppinion it's alot better and I don't use sheets at all. Altough; you can get transfer sheets at Games Workshop at:
    Transfer sheets
    You can also buy them at Woodland Scenics. These are more regual sheets with letters, arrows, stripes and on.
    I'm nOOb, even this Brazilian agree with me;
    19:04 Brazilian Pottato: noob yu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

I use a felt tipped pen to draw my logo's etc. on... then paint in the lines

Current Armys
    Tomb Kings, Marines, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use custom made decals, alot easier LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the felt pen idea myself, that might give me a bit more control and then I can go in and paint up what I want. Yeah, I'll put that on my list of pick ups this week. Any particular brand better than another?

As for freehanding, well, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the day I could draw up a storm but these days the caffine that has replaced my normal blood flood keeps my hands rather jittery and anything that I freehand will look like a child having a seizure. Not a pretty sight (smile).

As for banners and the like, I picked up a copy of White Dwarf the other day (latest I believe) and it had a nice bit on creating banners. I liked the cloth idea myself and thought I might give that a try. Anyone else do something along these lines?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

there i one brand of felt tip pen that's better than others for drawing on minis... they're sold at arts and craft stores, the name is "Micron" the size you's want is 005... the pen caseing is tan and comes in many colors. I have red and black, though I never realy use red much hehe

when you use it treat it as a paint brush, if you press to hard the pen get weird and doesn't work right. it also gets funky if you draw a constant line on painted minis, I sketch on my minis; other wise the pen gets paint on the tip cause it's so fine

-Jenn

Current Armys
    Tomb Kings, Marines, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I prefer transfers, they are much sharper than most people can paint. It's more likely that you don't know how to put them on properly than it is that you can paint better :) I usually paint over most of it afterwards to make it blend in better.
    If you give mailorder a call they can probably arrange to send you some chaos transfers, I don't know how much service they give these days though.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
    The other 2% are smart enough to question the 'science' behind that number...
    And it's spelled EMPEROR!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Tubal@Oct 25 2004, 19:56
    Personally I prefer transfers, they are much sharper than most people can paint. It's more likely that you don't know how to put them on properly than it is that you can paint better I usually paint over most of it afterwards to make it blend in better.
    If you give mailorder a call they can probably arrange to send you some chaos transfers, I don't know how much service they give these days though.
    [snapback]237746[/snapback]

Yeah, personally, I'm not much of a free hand artist so I expect I would botch it up and thus the reason for the transfers in the first place (heh). I'll give the buggers a call and see what I can come up with. I know there is a company on ebay that sells them (Griffon something or some such) but is there transfer paper that one can buy, print on and then use yourself?

That would be the best in my opinion if I could come up with something like this as I can do graphical art through photoshop, text, whatever and toss it onto transfer paper and give it a whirl. Has to be some place you can buy this stuff.

While I'm at it though, I just picked up a load of old White Dwarf magazines and I got to looking at some of the hand painted banners and I have to say tht I'm drooling something fierce. I have to stop reading the damn things to tell the truth as I'm now buying standard bearers of practically every race and picking up a horde of undead just for the fun of painting someting disgusting looking.

Oh, and I just got the Squig Hounds on ebay ... w00t!

Anyhow, transfers ... ideas peeps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x3)

for me banners are a real pleasure to make and they do give a lot of power to the army...

i sculp mine in GS and then paint it freehand, no decalc has the feeling of a freehand banner, at least for me.

i dont use GW brushes for fine detail go to a artist store and spend whatever it costs for a pro fine detail brush... this is the most important tool you can get, without it better leave freehand alone. i also look for inspiration in all kinds of artwork.

decals, transfers, photoshop prints.... none of those can capture what i espect from a banner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if crooked and messy was the feel I wanted on banners I'd handpaint them all, but since I have more taste than skill I use transfers :)

FF, the company you mean is probably Griffon Games. They sell some pre-designed decals as well as custom decals. I haven't tried them myself (although I will) but they get pretty good reviews.

As for transfer paper you could do a google search for 'waterslide decal paper', you'll get a lot of hits on companies that sell transfer paper for your printer.

If you think the fantasy banners are cool, get a look at the new space marine command squad standard bearer. He carries the Ultramarines second company banner. Nothing special there until you realize that they've painted the existing design onto a sculpted plastic banner :) I guess that's why they get paid and not me.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
    The other 2% are smart enough to question the 'science' behind that number...
    And it's spelled EMPEROR!

+ Reply to Thread