XV-9 Dark blue armour issue - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XV-9 Dark blue armour issue

Greetings fellow painters!

I am currently in the process of painting up my XV-9 battlesuits but I am running into a bit of a issue.
    The colour scheme that I had in mind needs to be an inverse of my current scheme.

current scheme:

The idea behind it is to make them really stand out. In the fluff of my Cadre, they will also be survivors of a different Cadre that is being merged with mine.
    That and I wanted something different to paint

With that in mind, I decided on the following:

Main armour colour: Dark blue.(basically Chaos black but with blue as a highlight)
    Secondary armour colour: Blood red
    Spot colour: bleached bone.
    Mechanical parts will be handled by mithril silver + badab black.
    Warlord purple will be used for source lighting effects on the weapons.

A first test model was one of my XV-88-2. This went pretty well but the executing of the blue on the armour was a bit of a miss.

I haven't painted further on that model, instead I choose to continue with my XV-9.
    The armour doesn't seem right to me. I got the blue highlight idea from a thread on Warseer.
    WoC Tzeentch army really but with a nice big, juicy Malal theme - WarSeer

But when I look at the first highlight on the model, something seems off.
    I can't explain it, it just don't seem right.
    I am not sure if it's the way I highlighted the armour or maybe the curves of the XV-9 aren't suited for this method.
    I have used Ultramarine blue as a first highlight. The other panels are Mechrite Red.
    It's possible that this will come through on the second highlight but I am sceptical about that possibility :sad:

All comments are appreciated!

Hive Fleet Lucanus : 2000 points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    244 (x5)

Personally I like your original scheme of red. But I do not like the purple ring around the base, I feel it takes away from the cool battlesuits

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

You could try mixing some blue in you black so that it really is a very dark blue, this should make the highlight look a bit more natural, like there is actually some blue in there that would become a highlight. Good luck, I like both schemes and feel your pain about painting the same colour all the time.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Or use necron abyss instead of black?
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread