Let down by Red Armor - and other stuff - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Let down by Red Armor - and other stuff

Well, I started working on my Exorcists project, and I have to say that I'm hating just about every minute of it. The trouble I'm having is that blasted red power armor. We're not even talking Blood Angels red armor here - it's much darker and more 'crimson' I suppose. Here's a pic of an Exorcists Marine from the Lexicanum site:

It's that blasted red that's giving me the devil. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to do that. Note - I use acrylics, and I don't use Citadel. I can try some color matching etc, and I'm working over a black basecoat right now.

Thanks billions you guys! I promise that I'll get some pictures up once I'm comfortable showing off my thumby-work (I can't call these hands, they're all thumbs anyways! )

Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

With you there chap. I hate Red. I hate it with a passion. Not sure what help I can advise you with if you don't use GW paints... its all I use.

If I were using GW paints for that scheme I'd probably mix Mechrite Red and Red Gore together. It's deep red but still quite orangy. If you look in my Sig I have a link to my old Blood Angels thread. There's a tutorial on how I did the red....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x3)

Hmmm it's a browny red but the red tint is slightly orange. As it's more a real natural colour I say have a look at the Vallejo "model" colour range. I would shade it with a browny green/blue hue and highlight it up with orangy browns similar to citadels vomit brown. As for the main red I can't look it up from here but look more towards a terracotta kind of red/brown.

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

VMC Dark Red.

Are you having trouble just matching it or painting it in general? If its matching it, try not to mix colours, I find when you mix the base colour for your army, you end up with different shades on everything, not a good uniform.

Dan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

120 (x3)

Oh no not dark red VMC Red Leather I would say.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/imag...lcolor-web.pdf

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

My recipe for Dark Red:

1) Chaos Black basecoat
    2) Red Gore paint
    3) Red Gore drybrush (to get the higher points where watery red might not stick)
    4) Blood Red drybrush
    5) Baal Red wash
    6) Blood Red highlights
    7) Done!!

If you don't use GW paints I can't say anything on specific colors, but do NOT mix paints for normal base paint unless you want avery model to look slightly different hue. You never get quite the same hue twice unless you do the mixing with very strict measuring standards. Also, red paint is usually a bit watery and when you paint it has the tendency to seep away from the higher points thus exposing the basecoat. The solution here is to have a dark basecoat and drybrush with the same red after base paint has dried. Drybrushed paint is not as watery and thus sticks better.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

You might try Red Metallic from Reaper Miniatures. It's dark enough that the 'metallic' part doesn't overcome the 'red' part, and it's much easier to apply than other reds I've tried. That and a wash should give pleasing results.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

120 (x3)

If you want a metallic colour I would go down a copper route to keep the orange brown colour.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

Wow guys, thanks for the quick responses! I have to take this opportunity to curse Borak up one side and down the other though, for having such beautiful Blood Angels in pretty much the exact color and model scheme that I was hoping for.
    Every time I get geared up for a project, I think to myself "these are going to be the best painted models I own", and then proceed to drop the ball entirely.

I had started painting this guy before I started this thread, so you can all see what's giving me problems. He's not anywhere near done yet - I have a bit of a list running right now:

1. figure out a color for his Storm Bolter and the handle of his halberd
    2. Get some more contrast in there somewhere (all eye lenses in the army with be green and glowy, force weapons are all green as well, but I feel like he's too bland)
    3. Figure out how to paint Red
    4. Touch ups!!
    5. Learn to paint

6. Drill out those barrels
    7. highlight all of the black
    8. finish up the raised =][= detail on his shoulderpad (and purchase, attach, and paint, his left shoulderpad from Chapterhouse)
    9. get a red/flesh wash on his face and get that bionic eye painted
    10. Base him - I plan to order some nice resin bases from Scibor

I can handle critics (I'm probably harder on myself than anybody else) so go ahead and cut loose. Is there anything I can do to get this guy up to a better-than-average standard? Note that I don't have a very good camera or lighting system, sorry, my hobby money goes into models, I'm not a decent enough painter to warrant putting together some amazing setup for show-and-tell.

Umm... HELP!

I have a feeling that this guy is going to be getting another SimpleGreen bath soon. Not that it helps that after his first bath, I discovered that whatever monkey had owned the Dark Angels bits before I did, decided it would be a great idea to base him white, with a "liberal" coating of enamel paint. So it's not coming off in this lifetime or any other. Luckily, the only soon-to-be-red bits that got hit with the white were his legs and chest, and I rebased those (and his uncoated arms) with black.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

120 (x3)

Use the rule of 2. If the armour is red and the robe is creamy then you need to keep everything else neutral. Using that advice keep your halberd and bolter plain ie black. Hmmm. Red is not hard to paint with if you know a few tricks. Several thin coats and highlight up through browns and flesh colours. Shade with green or blue. If you want I'll snap a picture of red I've painted onto a high elf robe...

Erm can't remember what else you asked... Btw if you use green to shade red use green as a spot colour for gems, eyes etc or blue if you use blue. A bright blue like lightning or ice blue would be best though

Oh a nice gritty red if you want to try it is... Mechrite red base, Devlan mud wash, overbrush blood red, drybrush blazing orange and light drybrush of vomit brown. Give it a wash of Baal red. Will give you a nice dark but gritty brown like in your picture

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast