Fantasy - Regimental Bases, Movement Trays, and Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

Fantasy - Regimental Bases, Movement Trays, and Questions

I was browsing GWs base selection because I needed some 40mms for some more Dryad to Treekin conversions and I noticed that they have regimental bases. Going by the size (20x80mm) it's evident that they can fit 4 models across and I was wondering of the significance of this and possibly remodeling some of my Glade Guard to fit on these bases just to make things easier. My questions are: How practical is this, what should I not do, and how much of my army should be set up this way? Obviously, I play wood elves and they're usually fielded in small units of 10-12, but I do like to field them in big units of 30+ from time to time. What about unit command and what not?

My second question is regarding movement trays. GW has "modular" trays, but that is only in terms of assembling it, which means once it's made it's done. What if I make, say a 5x2 tray and then decide I want a 6x2 tray later, for example? Would I have to make trays for all such occasion, or is there a way to make trays that are interchangeable?

Also, how do you guys handle your troops? More of a curiosity thing than anything else, just to get some ideas flowing.

40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

I make my trays with the cheap colored mat board, since you can buy a big sheet for your whole army for about $4 and it is already colored. Trim to size and border with 1/8" basswood (the stringers in the balsa wood section - glue with super glue), paint the wood trim and flock, if needed. So a complete tray costs well under $1. This way, I accomplish a number of things:
    1. I can make it a bit wider/longer if needed if the models need just a bit more room, since the size can be whatever I need (really helps some models that just don't rank up edge to edge very well.)
    2. Does not break my heart when I need to make another base if I add or subtract models, since it is so cheap and easy.
    3. The mat board with the wood trim is sturdy enough even for a regiment of all metal models.
    4. The board material comes in all kinds of colors and the type I use is not just a flat screen of color, but a slightly mottled color texture, so it does not need painting - I have a green and a brown piece.

Here is a pic of some non GW dwarves on one of the trays:

ManticDw2.jpg
    Three Roads Dreamt - My novella collection is now available! Action Suspense, Fantasy and Sci-Fi

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Regimental bases is a cool idea for hordes. In my Orc horde I used the chariot base and whacked 8 orcs on it. I did a few cavalry bases with 2 orcs on it. All told it helps ranking up and deploying the whole unit a lot easier. If you put the banner bearer & Musician on a Cav base then it stops the Banner guy faller over all the time too!! The only bad thing is fitting them all into a case. I had to cut so much foam out I almost cried.

As for the Trays I always have loads kicking about. you make some to fit one army and when you start a new army you have some all ready built. You may need to build new trays for the different sized units but eventually you'll have so many in so many sizes you'll probably not have to make any more. The trick is remembering them when you head off to your Gaming club/store!!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 (x6)

So, would it be worth putting my Glade Guard on regimental bases considering I mostly field them in units of 10-12 and occasionally 30+?
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Just a couple of Bases. The unit of 12 there's not much point but to make the unit up to 30 chuck in a couple. Just make sure you have another singles to remove odd casualties.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 (x6)

Well, I figure they'll be at least 5x2, so I guess that wouldn't really be worth it on it's own. If I didn't use my horrors for 40k more than fantasy (mainly because I don't want to hear the gripe about daemons from my friends), I'd love to regimental them if only because of how impossible they are to rank. The new ones, that is.

+ Reply to Thread