starting imperial fists need help painting over chaos black spray PLEASE HELP :/ - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starting imperial fists need help painting over chaos black spray PLEASE HELP :/

Hi,

Ok ive only painted blood angels ultramarines and black templars, but i want to start painting imperial fists and i love the colours they have.

Ive found a picture that has most definitely inspired me, and its exactly the kind of yellow im wanting, before i show the pic, i want to explain my question:

I am used to spraying chaos black as a base coat, ive always done it, and i love doing it, i dont really like building from light base sprays such as skull white. Ive read about and most people have said they would recommend a skull white base or codex grey, but to be honest i dont want to do that for many reasons, so i was wondering could anyone help me out on how to get a yellow like the picture below from building up over chaos black spray, it would be a huge help, and i really dont want a bright clean yellow, i want one like the pic below... any help would be greatly appreciated.

49835-Imperial Fists, Space Marines, Terminator Armor, Warhammer 40,000.jpg

cheers,
    lewis.

painter for 11 years :) still love it.... hoping to one day win a golden demon wud be nice :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

That has most likely been sprayed on with an air gun. Then they've used some washes to do the shading. Beyond my skill anyway!!

They way I do my Yellow over black is to base coat with Bestial Brown (it covers well over black) Then mix Bubonic brown with the bestial and use that as the 'base coat' leaving the previous coat of bestial as the shade. For highlights I just mix in more bubonic and then add white to the mix for a final highlight. It does look pretty close to the yellow they've done.

I've done some Empire soldiers with that colour and it works quite nicely. Linky in my Sig if you care to look They're on the last page.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; February 5th, 2012 at 11:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you seriously think they've been sprayed? theres wayy too much detail tho?

thanks for the help anyhow

lewis.
    painter for 11 years :) still love it.... hoping to one day win a golden demon wud be nice :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by green_crayon View Post
    you seriously think they've been sprayed? theres wayy too much detail tho?

thanks for the help anyhow

lewis.
    Could've been sprayed, would make painting yellow easier being able to block airbrush the base colour, colour and wash it.

Anyways, when I was considering the yellow smurfs I came across this - Painting – Imperial Fists Yellow - Wiltrichs.com

The yellow doesn't seem to different a shade from what your after, just need to add some battle damage to get the look of the models that have inspired you.

Hope this helps,
    LK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Another helpful link for you:
    Painting Yellow Over Black

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

Spraying actually covers up details less than brushing, if done right. With spraying you can work in thinner and more even coats than with brushing. Of course, if you keep hosing a model like a madman trying to do it in one coat, then yes, you will ruin all the detail. ^^
    But I do think that working up from a brown basecoat over a black undercoat might do the trick. Especially if you use that brown foundation paint (the name eludes me).
    Personally I'd basecoat in brown, then a 50/50 yellow/brown, and then a few coats of yellow. After that, you can further tone it with washed and inks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Spraying would just help you put a nice even coat down. The guy looks to have used a lot of blending based on the color variations and how intentional and smooth the variations look. very advanced painter by the looks of the model. Very beautiful too!
    Check out my new and frequently updated WH40K Ork blog to see pics, tutorials, reviews and much much more...http://thegreentide.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread