awkwardly large ruined city display board WIP - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

awkwardly large ruined city display board WIP

here are some pictures so far... as you can see, really in just the infant stages. but the sidewalks are done, just looking for material at hand to raise the corners of the city blocks high enough to reach the sidewalks. As far as the grand scheme of things, just piles of rubble, two heavily destroyed buildings and just alot of general decimation. But im also planning to have an immobilized/wrecked rhino crashed through one of the walls of the buildings... if i can get my hands on an unloved rhino. that and other neat bits. anyways... pictures...

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Just a quick update, as i can't get much done at the moment.

-filled in a few of the sidewalk cracks... cause some of them were a bit on the "ravine" side. in my opinion it makes the cracks just a bit more subtle.
    -measured the 4 quadrants so that i can cut some mdf hardboard i found to fit in nice and snug.

i dont know if you can see it in the pictures, but by scraping of the excess tile adhesive that i put in some of the cracks, it gave the tile a more abrasive surface... im thinking about possibly trying this affect on all of them. dont know. feel free to post any comments or concerns one hobbyist might have for another.
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

I look forward to the completed project - a great start!
    Three Roads Dreamt - My novella collection is now available! Action Suspense, Fantasy and Sci-Fi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

well... apparently college can get in the way of things. but did manage to get a little more done, and by that, i mean texturing the surface of the crosswalk strips. dont have pictures... and since friday is the 40k night at the local hobby store, not too much more headway will be made, but pictures... yeah i guess thats reasonable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Just a little bit more done. finished laying down the crosswalk in bluetape (gives a nice slightly raised plane at the painting stage) and put some ballast on the edges and on some of the flat surfaces. im thinking about adding road cracks with that tile adhesive.

DSCF2379.jpgDSCF2378.jpgDSCF2380.jpgDSCF2381.jpgDSCF2382.jpgDSCF2383.jpgDSCF2384.jpg

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Starting to come together quite nicely. The sand/gravel really helps with the run down/ruined look!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

thanks for the feedback mdsw and deadstar... progress is going to start slowing down till i can find a pal with a band saw or something of the equivalent to cut some hardboard for the area within the sidwalks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Ok, so i still haven't gotten my hands on a band saw... doubt i ever will. But i did manage to find very good runner up just lying around in my basement: The Stanley Sharptooth Saw. specifically designed to cut through things like MDF hardboard... pretty crazy. I highly suggest this thing as it took me about 15 seconds to power through a foot of MDF, granted you have to muscle it... but a great tool to have if you work with the stuff.

anyways, got my 4 city block corners cut out, but i haven't glued them down yet... as one or two of the hardboard rectangles are a tad large, so im going to cut those down before they are glued into place. Then a little spackle/tile adhesive between the "sidewalk" and the MDF rectangles.

DSCF2385.jpgDSCF2386.jpg

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

This really is going to be awkwardly large when you've finished with it, isn't it?

Glad to see you found a suitable saw and got that bit done. What's the plan once the boards are glued down and the gaps filled?
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

yeah, this monster is 2x2 foot... but i want to be able to comfortably fit my Dark Eldar collection as it grows, but along with a few pieces of scenery fixed to the board. I think i might take a photo with a couple models on it for scale.

yeah, after the rectangles are glued in place ill put down the buildings/rubble and various other bits like lamp posts. One of the two buildings i already have built, and depending upon whether or not i can get my hands on a Gothic Ruins Terrain Set by Pegasus Hobbies, ill expand it with a few more building tiles that i have. But i'm getting more and more jazzed about this abandoned rhino crashing through a wall, which i might be able to get my hands on an un-loved chassis covered in layers of paint. Thats about it though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast