New to warhammer 40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to warhammer 40k

Im new to warhammer 40k. I wanna build my own table for home games. I've tried researching about how to make them and what not, only question is what size table should I go with? 4x4 or 6x4? Whats the pro's and con's to each size table as far as playing? Any help and tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

6x4 is pretty much the standard these days. Expect to be able to play 1000-2000 points comfortably with the added advantage that it is easy to make smaller if you want to go to 4x4.

4x4 is good for 400 - 1000 points but not much more. If you try and play a 1500 point game at that size it will just be about who ever brought the biggest meat grinder units as it doesn't leave any room for manouvering.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

Welcome to WH40k and LO.

You should find that 6' x 4' is the current favourite size for 1500 point battles and upwards (you can even play smaller games on them by reducing the gaming surface required), and lightweight folding ones like wallpaper pasting tables-usually 6' x 2' each once erected-are always a good idea. On the other hand 4' x 4' is also good if you build them yourself as they can get a bit heavy. Card tables are an example of this-easily portable but heavy cumbersome if you have a lot of other kit to cart about as well. The upside to smaller tables is that they can be made "modular"-each one designed in such a manner that they can be switched around at every game for a different setting and put together to form bigger battlefields as your army and experience grows.

Don't forget that you may need extra space for your army, rulebooks, "dead pile", paper, pencils and all the other gumf we need to make the game run properly. Having it scattered across the gaming table can get a bit frustrating. This is however purely optional as you may end up with more space than you need. It's entirely up to you-if you have personal transport then you can do what you like, and better still if you are part of a club or have premises of your own,you don't need to move anything except to pack away when you're finished. I'm just speaking from experience. I hope I've helped.
    Last edited by adamwelton; February 24th, 2012 at 00:53.
    Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

8x4 is what you're really going to want after you realize you don't have room for set up, rolling and dead pile.

6. Thanksadamwelton thanked for this post.
    Likeadamwelton liked this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ty so much for all the input. I might go 8x4. Only problem I wanna make this table portable. Easy to put in the back of my vw and transport to a friends house to play. Tips? Ideas? I'm gonna use that pink insulation foam for the top. Obviously removable but idk how to make the whole thing how I want

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

Go for 4'x 4' and make them light weight with trestle supports so you can manhandle them easily enough. You then only need two, with the possibility of expanding for Apocalypse games. Just beware of possible "leaning" accidents where an unsuspecting player or visitor puts their weight on a corner and the whole lot goes over. Folding tables usually avoid this but pasting tables can be quite weak (if lightweight and easily portable) whereas home-made tend to be heavy but more robust depending on the effort you put in to building them. Some players have scenic tables but these are hard work to keep in shape due to travel and use.

Lightweight tables with added tiles are good to save on weight and wear and tear. The insulating sheets are great for shaping then coating with resin so seal the stuff in. You can then car-prime spray them and go mad as you like. Your only concern then is extra transport space for separate tables and 2' x 2' modular tiles. Another idea would be buying flocked "battlemats" and pasting them to tables. This isn't too expensive but they don't last long. Then again you could just find a good roll of coloured carpet and throw it over whatever tables or floor are at hand. Works for me. Total cost: £13.00 for 18'x 4' roll. STILL cheaper and longer-lasting than GW "battlemats", even after I've trimmed contoured hills out.

I reckon you'd do well with separate tables and tiles-share cost, build and storage with said friend, even with tables. You both have two 4' x 4' each then and save on use and transport.
    Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to Thread