Pallid Flesh - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pallid Flesh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pallid Flesh

So I'm about to get elbow deep into my horde of Chaos Marauders, and considering my process.

What I really don't like with a lot of the models out there is the "pink skin" look. To my mind, these guys are borderline inhuman... living in a sunless hellhole choked with snow and ice. To that end I think they need to look really pale and unhealthy. Now that's not to say I want to go for a completely inhuman look (not quite "Kratos" but close)... just something that seems like these guys haven't seen sunlight before marching south for slaughter.

My first inclination was a light gray base, built up to white highlights. But I'm afraid that won't read as natural. Then I was thinking a wash to finish might just do the trick... maybe a watered down brown, maybe even with a pinch of a warmer color to give the hint of human flesh. or would I be better served with a warmer color in the base, and build up to the pale tone I have in mind.

For consideration, the leather will be all black. The hair will be black. any details in a weathered brass.

I'm okay with a monochromatic look - i just don't want it to look unrealistic!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might try mixing say... a light flesh tone with light grey (maybe a X:Y mix of Elf Flesh and Fortress Grey for example). You might also try to find out how Dark Eldar players paint the more pallid skin on their minis that I tend to see.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I used a Grey base for this skin tone. It was Codex Grey with Codex&Elf Flesh for highlights and then up to white. Adding more Elf to the mix will give you a paler, rather than dead, complexion. Otherwise, Tallarn Flesh with Fortress Grey mixed and then White in to highlight it would work as well.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

You could try painting the flesh a normalish colour, but very pale since no sun, then wash (or glaze) over it with a blue. This should make it appear very cold and get across the feeling you want without making the skin look too alien, although alien may be what you are looking for. I would apply this same theory to most variations of skintone you may want, green wash or glaze for Nugleish cast to the flesh purple or red for a more human warm apearance.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. April 25th, 2012, 08:23