Paint Selection for Wehrmacht - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paint Selection for Wehrmacht

I'm about to start making a Wehrmacht themed Imperial-guard army. Veterans in Chimeras ( panzergrenadiers), veterans in valkyries (fallschirmjager) leman russes (tigers) etc. I'm using cadians with west wind production german heads and some other wehrmacht styled stuff. Before I actually start painting anything I need to select paints for the effect I am going for. I posted some pictures for my general units, if anyone could recommend paints to be used I would be deeply appreciative.

chimeras and leman russes:

alternative chimeras and leman russes:

Veterans in valkyrie

valkyrie:

Guardsmen:

Also, how should I make the guardsmen's body armor look. I'll paint the fatigues field grey, but how should I make the body armor contrast? Same color as the helmets in the above photo?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Kev
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I can't give you much by way of specific advice mate. But a lad in work just caught me looking at your images and he happens to be a WW2 re-enacter and a big time millitary modeller. He is now in love with you, and honestly, the vibe in the office is getting a little bit weird.

Heres what he has advised.

RAL7021 is the grey used on the helmets in the bottom image. This can be gotten from Tamiya XF-63, the same colour used on the grey tank.

The base colour on the other tank is Dunkelgelb, which is Tamiya XF-60

The Field Grey you are after is XF-65, and for the Camo you are looking for XF-58 and XF-16.

Tamiya was what he used, which is why the colours have been noted with this range, I'm sure if you were to tap the details in to a paint converter then you would be able to fine the Vallejo or GW equivalents. Here is one of the tanks he painted. PLease bear in mind that this is not my work but my colleagues. Good luck with your project.

This is his blog:
    http://davemodelblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited by Kev; April 7th, 2012 at 11:19.
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    My blog:
    http://lifeless-loser.blogspot.com/

4. ThanksImperator100 thanked for this post.
    LikeImperator100 liked this post.
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Your pictures seem to be down

Vallejo model air paints are really nice. They also do a "Panzer Aces" range that lets you match your desired scheme to specific paints. That might be a nice way to do it.

@ Kev
    That Tiger has weird lines, is there any reference for those spaghetti-like strands of colour? I think/thought that scheme looked more like this:
    http://vislardica.com/AAR/CanadianVC/G1.08.JPG

Anyway I think the key to a good look isn't so much 1:1 matching of the colours it's the weathering you apply afterwards. The camo schemes can look really cartoonish unless you really hammer them with pigments and washes and stuff, at which point they start to look amazing.

I'd be wary about doing camo schemes on the infantry because it's fiddley to do and normally looks bad on the tabletop. If you stick to an early-mid war scheme you can bypass that. Field grey is all well and good but I'd add some blue, maybe in the wash. If you use "pure" grey you'll run the risk of leaving your guys looking unpainted.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Kev
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I'm unsure mate, it was an image taken from my work mates modelling blog. I'm not much of a military modeller so its all a little over my head I'm afraid
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    My blog:
    http://lifeless-loser.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi!

These are my models, Kev posted the link so I'll clear this up. The 'soft edged' patterns are done when the vehicle is at a depot and there is time to spray the vehicle, usually done by one person. If the tank was in the field/transfered between theatres without needing depot attention, then the crew would scrounge some paint and do it themselves to however best fitted with the terrain. This is the 'hard edged' pattern. I have hundreds of books on tanks, late war especially and there are so many variations it is impossible to try and describe every pattern here.

Hope this clears things up!

Dave

8. ThanksImperator100 thanked for this post.
    LikeImperator100 liked this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the paint advice! That is a really nice looking tiger. I think I should be able to make a leman russ look like that, with the proper equipment. What i'm less sure on is weather the fallschirmjager's jump smocks are going to end up looking like they should.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny you should mention Fallschirmjager, I also do WWII re-enactment as a Fallschirmjager! What pattern are you looking for? Standard Splinter 'B', Reverse Splinter 'B' or Italian Splinter 'B'? There are variations within these but these are the main types. I can reccomend a book i recently got (and i'm sure Kev will back me up on this) from Amazon

Modelling Fallschirmjager Figures Osprey Modelling: Amazon.co.uk: Jaume Ortiz Forns: Books

This has painting step-by-steps and a lot more info besides, a must if you are doing this camo.

Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm probably going to paint them in the first style: http://www.achtung-blitzkrieg.com/ac...parka400HB.jpg. Thanks for the guide, I might order that. Especially because for the fallschirmjager at least I'm going to be all out in converting them. Also, since you are a reenactor in the uk it seems, what price do you think a good deactivated kar98k would cost? There is a store near my university that has one on sale for about 200 pounds with original markings, not a post war copy etc. Hmm, it turns out I can view most of that book online :p.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats a very poor splinter 'b' pattern. The base is too light and the whole pattern is hardly correct. The best place to look is either this book (or any of the Osprey Fallschirmjager/German Airborne Troop books, they are all great!) or Richard Underwoods site. His smocks are dead-on in terms of pattern and colour and all of his other uniforms are really good as well. Unfortunatly there are loads of cheap Chinese knock-offs selling to the re-enacting community which are way off realistic, some even made up just because they look a bit cool! Research is always best with this sort of stuff.

http://www.richardaunderwood.com/pro...roducts_id=244

Re. the K98, it sounds an OK price for a de-ac but live ones are not much more! Are you part of a group which re-enacts? I ask as it is the only way you can buy one, the man-on-the-street can't just walk in and buy one. Look Up the 'Violent Crimes Reduction Act' for details. Also where in the UK are you based?
    Last edited by rrc47758; April 7th, 2012 at 15:03.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

This is a placeholder post I've got some tips but am a little busy at the moment will edit in stuff later!

A

Edit just written a new post so this can be deleted by any friendly passing mod.
    Last edited by Commisarlestat; April 7th, 2012 at 19:39.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast