Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
After having a panic attack because I saw Steve's post title (Tyranid Digestion Pools) and thinking I would not be able to get my idea into the competition (Bio-Decomposition Pools, which are very similar to digestion pools), I realised that he actually wished for that post to be deleted, for whatever reason. So now I've calmed down a little, here's how I'm going to do my entry:
Off to it then!
- Get the Moonscape Terrain set from GW. Find a small sized crater in the set and use that for a foundation.
- Stick some card on the base so that it doesn't warp. I'll probably have to fill these joins between the crater and the card with sand or whatever.
- Bend some florists wire through the cracks and crevices on the crater, so it looks like tendrils or whatever coming out from the centre.
- Buy a whole bunch of different sized and textured beads. I'll then stick quite a few of them on (without going overboard).
- Mix up some good ol' talc powder and PVA glue and then brush it over the beads and in between. This'll form my main basis of gunk - all the matter that's already been decomposed. I'll have to find a way to apply it so that I can get a certain texture...
- I'll leave that overnight. Then I'll have to undercoat it, most likely black.
- Painting it will be time consuming. For the crater, I'll use earthy tones as my battlefield is the Citadel Grass Mat on our dining table, so that would blend in the best. I might stick some grass on the outer edges of the crater just so that it blends in with the battlefield more.
- For the gunk and the tendrils on the inside, I'll have to use organic tones. I was thinking of using a bright green with some OSL (source lighting), but then that would blend in with the battlefield too much, and besides, decomposing flesh isn't (always) green. I don't want to make my pool look like blood, as that's too chaotic for nids. So perhaps I'll settle for flesh tones. Sounds nice.
- Then I'll get Water Effects or 'ardcoat or whatever GW makes these days to give the gunk a gloss finish so it looks super gooey and slimy.
Oh and of course, it can be used in the Short Story Competition.
Last edited by Warlord Vrrmik; April 11th, 2012 at 23:11.
Alright I've got the tendrils stuck on to my crater. Here's how it looks:
I still need to find some suitable card or my basing and I might put some sand around its base.
I'll keep the updates coming.
By the way sorry about the crap quality, I took the picture using a phone camera.
Alright next update:
Basically what I did was base it and disguise the edges with sand.
P.S. my in progress photos may be a bit dodgy as I'll be taking them with this phone camera, however I'll ensure I'll get my proper good camera for the final photo and entry.
Last edited by Warlord Vrrmik; April 13th, 2012 at 08:46.
Hmm. The photo quality is a bit off but I suppose you can't help that.
I'll be looking forward to the final product, I think it'll look great!
Make sure you don't go overboard with those beads, less is more when it comes to this kind of stuff. It's not as if the pool is bubbling as if it's boiling!
Just wondering I keep seeing a lot of scenery based threads here in modeling. Why didnt you post this in scenery? Great progress by the way.
The Custom Terrain Contest requires you to post your project in the modelling forum. I would've put it in the scenery forum but I must obey the rulesOriginally Posted by Guant
Two new updates today!
Firstly, I got all my gunk bubbles done. Turns out I didn't have any beads so I fashioned my own bubbles out of green stuff.
Then I got some baby powder and PVA Glue mixed them up in a small pot, and applied it to the crater pool. Now I'm ready to undercoat (after it's dried) and get painting!
P.S. I also need to come back to it after half an hour so that I can stipple the semi-dry mix to create a more funky texture. I tried to do it now but unfortunately it just recollected and evened out.
That looks disgusting (in a very cool niddy sort of way). I can't wait to see it painted!
By the way I think the surface is a little too even for a bio-decomposition pool. Let's hope your texturing makes it look funkier, as you would put it
A lot of the glue evaporated (damn Australian weather) so it destroyed pretty much all of my texturing and now there's less liquid in the pool. However a simple black undercoat disguised that very quickly.
Alrighty, second last update!
I spent the better part of this morning painting and experimenting with my bio-decomposition pool, and here's how I did it.
Undercoat: Chaos Black
Crater: Graveyard Earth --> Zandri Dust --> Bleached Bone (all drybrushed)
Sand: Graveyard Earth --> Bleached Bone --> Screaming Skull (all drybrushed)
Pool, Tendrils and Bubbles: Dark Flesh --> Dwarf Flesh (dry brush or an over brush) --> Dark Flesh wash on pool only
Stains: Dark Flesh wash --> Dwarf Flesh dry brush
Just one step to go, and that's to go buy some 'ardcoat (or Water Effects if they still have any) and coat the pool, tendrils and bubbles so they look slimy. Then it will be done!