Help with painting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with painting

Basically Im new to warhammer 40k, this is my second post on the forums and i am about to buy some of my first miniatures, My basic design for them would be shoulders , and chest to be a sort of Same colour as the green salamanders use, the waist section, helmet and hands to be dark grey and the rest to be grey like the same colour as a regular bolter. Since i have yet to even practice painting on a single marine I am wondering if anyone can give me a list of paints I would need to use (and please if possible the steps on how to paint, i mean like which one is the undercoat then which one i put ontop of it not like brush strokes on anything like that). I am asking this because any salamander paint tutorial uses dark angels green and that is no longer available.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Bliisk View Post
    Basically Im new to warhammer 40k, this is my second post on the forums and i am about to buy some of my first miniatures, My basic design for them would be shoulders , and chest to be a sort of Same colour as the green salamanders use, the waist section, helmet and hands to be dark grey and the rest to be grey like the same colour as a regular bolter. Since i have yet to even practice painting on a single marine I am wondering if anyone can give me a list of paints I would need to use (and please if possible the steps on how to paint, i mean like which one is the undercoat then which one i put ontop of it not like brush strokes on anything like that). I am asking this because any salamander paint tutorial uses dark angels green and that is no longer available.
    Thanks
    If you haven't found it yet, paint it on the internet first. The old version allows you to pick colours based on paints, and then you can select the "What paints?" button and it will let you know what you need. It also helps you see if you like all the colours together.

There's also a fancier version, but you can't pick specific GW colours.

Now, keep in mind, washes will change the way the colour turns out, but it's a good place to start. I'd say your best way to see if you actually like the colour scheme is to paint up a couple models in various fashion to see what you really like. Basically, you won't know until you try. This is no biggie, because it's easy to strip the paint from models, so don't fret about not getting it right the first time.

Then, of course, post them up here. We'll give you some criticisms on where to go, but to start, all I can say is: "Practice practice practice".

For what the old colours are... BHJAM!*.

*Let me know if that last link doesn't open. We're having a pretty bad connection out in the field tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks but I have one question, the first link of the internet painter thing shows 2 results for most of my colour choices, does this mean that I will have to mix them? If so which one goes on first and what do the numbers underneath mean
    /?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit: double post
    Last edited by Bliisk; May 8th, 2012 at 10:25.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are wanting to do a Grey/Green marine, then go to your local store and pick out a green color that you want to be the base color, then select a green that is one step lighter than it for highliting. Do the same for the grey. That will be 4 paints. Then pick up a metal color, and a lighter one to use for highlighting. These will be used on the bolter, greaves in the armor, and so on. Also decide what color you want the chest eagle or skull to be and follow the same steps for selecting paints for it. I would also sugest you pick up a can of spray on black. The GW stuff works great but is stupid expensive. Krylon works ok. Just make sure that you get matte and that is is intended for plasitc. You can pick it up at local auto parts stores or walmart.

The painting would go like this.
    1. Base black
    2. paint the base color on the armor, be it the darker grey or green.
    3. highlight the edges of the armor with the lighter color.
    4. paint all the metal sections and highlight them.
    5. Optional. If you want pick up Nuln Oil Shade (GW brand) and wash your model with it. It is like watered down paint that will get into the low spots on the armor and make it look really nice.
    6. Never stop trying. My first model looks VERY bad, but with practice I am quite happy with my ability now. PM me if you have any further questions.
    <(^^)> <(^^<) (>^^)> ^(^^)^ Dance Kirby! Dance!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

To add to Klajorne's informative post,i would suggest that you us the paints on some sprue pieces first to test their tone.After all there are a hundred grays,reds and so on almost on every line.See what tone suits you best.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread