Scenery Table! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scenery Table!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive managed to get hold of a 14x21 inch plank of solid pine wood.People go on about something called polywood,shouldnt we just use solid wood.

Im goin to spray paint the whole plan of wood in white(coat it).
    Or should i just staple down some foamy tipe stuff.

!!!!thanks!!!!

''Courage and Honour!'' Ultramarines battle cry

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ultramarine_Stu+Nov 10 2004, 156--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ultramarine_Stu &#064; Nov 10 2004, 156)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ive managed to get hold of a 14x21 inch plank of solid pine wood.People go on about something called polywood,shouldnt we just use solid wood.
    [snapback]248040[/snapback]
    [/b]

14 x 21 is way too small for a game board. You should use one at least 4 foot by 4 foot (48" x 48") and that would be a small table. 4&#39;x6&#39; up to 5&#39;x8&#39; are common larger sizes.

It&#39;s called &#39;plywood&#39; As in wood made with several layers (plies) of thin wood laminated together. Solid wood would be fine if you didn&#39;t plan on moving your table. Plywood is much stronger, lighter, and doesn&#39;t warp as easily. That&#39;s why people use it as a base for their tables.

<!--QuoteBegin-ultramarine_Stu
    @Nov 10 2004, 156
    Im goin to spray paint the whole plan of wood in white(coat it).
    Or should i just staple down some foamy tipe stuff.
    [snapback]248040[/snapback]
    [/quote]
    Depends on what you mean by (I&#39;m assuming) &#39;Foam Type Stuff&#39;. There&#39;s a lot of foam products out there, many of which are not suitable for a game table surface.

White primer is a good start to prepare the surface, but unless you plan play on flat, featureless snow terrain, you might want to do a little more than that.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It&#39;s called &#39;plywood&#39; As in wood made with several layers (plies) of thin wood laminated together. Solid wood would be fine if you didn&#39;t plan on moving your table. Plywood is much stronger, lighter, and doesn&#39;t warp as easily.
    Just a little extra info about the plywood.
    The plywood does warp as any other material, although not as easily.
    Only big problem, when i large pieces it tends to already be slightly warped, just remember to baton it down to make it more even.
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why dont you use mdf then glue down a 8.5cm thickness of foam with cylicone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and dont just use a board pantied skull white :wacko: when instead spag sum foam on the board i find its much easier to make trenches and craters and the bubble polysyrne is reall really cheap &#036;20 for 5 by 5 and a reasonal bord size is at least 6 by 5 but that all depends on the size of your army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually use a plank of wood with polystyrene over it because you can add depth, like craters.

Wood:

-------------------------------
    -------------------------------

Polystyrene:

--------------------------------------
    |
    |
    --------------------------------------
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they *****ed me off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just used polystyrene sheets pulled out of a construction site for my board. They already had reinforcing on the bottom. I just glued down some sand, PVA&#39;d over that, then i sprayed over that to make snow. It is really tough and allows scenery to be placed anywhere on top, as opposed to having permanant scenery.

I have 3 sections which add up to 4" by 8". Works well but is a bit thin (only 4") for larger battles when deployes along long board edges.

+ Reply to Thread