Which Is Better For Primer White Or Black? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello. I a noob Warhammer player, and just bought a librarian. I used black primer, and it looks ugly! Then I tried some White Primer and i was like.. Holy Crap! The colors are more vibrant (even black) is this just me, a fluke(both OSH spray primers), or real?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Amid the darkness and horror of a world splintering apart, the armies of the true creators, we who were ancient at the dawn of time, will march forth once more. We shall sweep away all that is chaos and disorder for ours is the true path and none shall defy us.</div>
    Translation from ancient plaques attributed to Venerable Lord Kroak

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Sap
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by BurnDaHalflings@Dec 9 2004, 166
    Hello. I a noob Warhammer player, and just bought a librarian. I used black primer, and it looks ugly&#33; Then I tried some White Primer and i was like.. Holy Crap&#33; The colors are more vibrant (even black) is this just me, a fluke(both OSH spray primers), or real?
    [snapback]269903[/snapback]
    What Chapter are you painting him for?

I know with red that it looks great on white. Really easy to paint. One of my first models was a Blood Angels Marine. But on black? A real prick to paint. I painted an Eldar bike in mostly red (the rider is yellow) and gawds... I wish I had done white. But at that time I was considering a red and black scheme.
    If you don&#39;t know what you want you end up with a lot of stuff you don&#39;t.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Think of priming this way, what do you want your outcome to be.

Bright colors use BRIGHT primers. (Yellow, Red, White, etc.)
    Dark colors use DARK primers. (Black, Brown, Dark Green, etc.)

Don&#39;t cross them unless you want a dull in between...
    Example: Black primer with red top coat will get you a hard to completly cover, ending up with dingy red. But a white primer will get you a brilliant red. So on and so forth...
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

Dark Trainer put it best, but with enough coats it doesn&#39;t matter what base color you use. My Necrons are white and gold (gold body, white "ceramic" bits, shoulders/hips/destroyer bodies), and I base them in black. Since Destroyer bodies are 2 parts, the shell and the undercarraige basically, I usually prime the shell part white, and then paint white over it. But for the regular troops, I have to paint the white over the black base coat. Comapring the two, they look the same, the white painted over white as opposed to the white painted over black. The biggest difference is the number of coats needed to get a smooth effect.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kay. I am doing a SM army with black, and i think a bit of Gore Red. I was painting my librarian, but the primer didn&#39;t coat him. On his backpack, arm & gun, i tried white primer, and they look so much better. I don&#39;t know why, but white primer seems the best for my army. It makes black look better, especially for noob painters. I can&#39;t paint for beans, and did a crap job on my Sarus Lord I bought when i was obsessed with FB before 40k
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Amid the darkness and horror of a world splintering apart, the armies of the true creators, we who were ancient at the dawn of time, will march forth once more. We shall sweep away all that is chaos and disorder for ours is the true path and none shall defy us.</div>
    Translation from ancient plaques attributed to Venerable Lord Kroak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok , so bright colours look better with white undercoat and dark colours look better with black undercoat .
    thats true alright , but look at it like this . every time you miss something when your painting on white undercoat you can see this bright white spot ( and these spots can be big depending were it is ) and it looks horible for example you painting a marine in the blood angel scheme , you miss an area behind the backpack or depresion in the armour , this will show up white and can be seen from miles away but if you undercoated it black these area&#39;s and depresions would look like they were painted black for a reason ( shadow ) , so in my opinion black undercoat is alot easier to work with , it just takes a few coats though .
    AE-86 Twin cam corolla . a beaut &#33;

<a href='http://www.freewebs.com/imperator-judicium' target='_blank'>Please visit my website . Imperator -=][=- Judicium .</a>

<a href='http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Mojo.jojo' target='_blank'>LOL &#33; this is one of the funiest videos ive ever seen &#33;</a>

join the librarium-online dawn of war clan <a href='http://www.freewebs.com/librarium/' target='_blank'>HERE</a>

<a href='http://data.forumhoster.com/forum_slayer/index.php?showforum=1' target='_blank'>Check when the next clan game is on here</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, black is better if you&#39;re sloppy and white if you know what you&#39;re doing :)
    Personally I use white usually, but I&#39;m not afraid to experiement. My Adeptus Mechanicus are primed with boltgun metal spray (old can from UK) but it&#39;s so dark it looks like a black/boltgun mix. That way I get a pretty unique look and as everyone knows (right?) AM are red and grey with various metal and fleshy bits so there are both light and dark colours to paint.

When I undercoat white I paint a medium colour and shade/highlight it, with a dark undercoat you have to work your way up from dark to light. It&#39;s a different technique but it works just as well.
    I still prefer white though.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
    The other 2% are smart enough to question the 'science' behind that number...
    And it's spelled EMPEROR!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Originally posted by mojo jojo@Dec 9 2004, 10:32
    every time you miss something when your painting on white undercoat you can see this bright white spot ( and these spots can be big depending were it is ) and it looks horible
    [snapback]270410[/snapback]
    What about a bright model with an UGLY black spot. Both are just as unforgiving. Find a primer that comes closest to the actual color for best results (but most of us can&#39;t afford all the primers...) :glare:
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

Black is better, IMO. I always work from darkest to lightest color shades, and as it has been said, with enough thin coats it does matter little what color you prime with. But with a black priming, it helps a lot on blacklining or when your primary color/ one of your primary colours is black.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

general that i use (this doesnt include inks and washes) for Figures and military modelling. Always do the lightest (base) colour first as dark covers light better than light covers dark. If you do a dark undercoat but want a yellow patch/panel etc then paint that white befire yellow.

On a side note i used to do all my Blood Angels vehicles white then red. Now i spray em black and dry brush blood red with a very big brush. At first i wasnt too happy but now i really like the darker feel it gives. And further highlighting is easy, just add a spot of orange to the red the drybrush again.

+ Reply to Thread