HOW DO U PAINT FACES??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HOW DO U PAINT FACES???

How do you paint faces so that they r perfect and the wrinkles are showing etc, can some1 plz help me, thx, much appreciative.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Well, faces arent as difficult as you think. Here's my approach:

1. Paint the whole face Bronzed Flesh and leave to dry.

2. Enhance the detail by filling in the cracks and 'deep parts' with Flesh Ink/Wash (these 'deep parts' are under the nose, the eyes, under the lower lip, the part where face and hair meet and the inside the ears. There are also other places depending on the miniature). Leave to dry and BE SURE it's dry before moving to the next step!!

3. Highlight the 'high parts' with Elf Flesh or even Bleached Bone (these 'high parts' are the bridge of the nose, the cheek bones, the chin, the eyebrows, the lips, the forehead and the outside of the ears. Again, this varies depending on the mini). This should dry quickly.

4. Paint the eye areas black (Also the insde of the mouth if it is open) and leave to dry. Now paint small dots of white in the eyes (and paint teeth white if these are showing). When the white is dry paint tiny dots of black in the white of the eyes (This is the most difficult part but with a little practice you should get there).

And there you have it! A nice face!

Good luck!

-Rob
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bobahat has provided a great tutorial. Additionally I would add that you do not have to attempt to paint the eyes in. For 'human' models they actually look surprisingly good without the eyes painted (provided you have given them a sufficiently dark wash).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its because of ppl like you that newbies are labelled as retards
    just kidding
    (or am i) :twisted:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

I paint my Chaos faces real simple. Paint Rotting Flesh, then use watered down Chaos Black or Snakebite for instance. For the eyes use a really small brush, paint them white and add a small black dot.
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer pallid flesh for my Emps children, makes em that little bit weirder looking. I then use chestnut ink to shade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This post have been deleted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, but about those eyes...

everytime i try and do it i end up with a foolish looking cross-eyed guy. Also another tip that i have heard for eyes, though i have had little luck myself so experiment and see if it works for you or not:

instead of painting the eyes white, and then painting a center dot for the pupil/iris what not, it was once suggested to me that you paint the entire eye, and then go in and paint the corners of ths eyes white.

I'll admit the logic of painting two small dots instead of just one has always eluded me, but you might give it a try and see if it helps.

personally, i just try and get the eye's white, and forget the pupils so they end up looking blind, thats enough for me most of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Yeah, I think everyone who's attempted to paint eyes have had this problem but the only thing I can say to it is practice makes perfect...

Personally, I think that having the eyes completely white looks awful unless you want your mini to look crazy or posessed. My advice is that you try to do the eyes with the black dots.

-Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.) base coat the face with the starting color.
    2.) chestnut ink it to the complection that you want it in the cracks
    3.) go back and highlight with same basecoat
    4.) add tiny bits of skull white to the basecoat color to finally highlight it
    5.) DONT worry about the eyes. Just take straight black ink and drop it in the eye area to give it a really cool effect. The eyes are to small on some modles to worry about.
    6.) Hope it works for you, it has for me for the past year and a half.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast