How Do You Paint Wood? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i need to paint the spear poles on my Empire spearmen, how would i go about it?

that's the thing about perfection, it can only get worse.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First I paint it Vermin Brown, then I wash it with Chestnut Ink. Lastly I drybrush it with Bubonic Brown.
    It's very fast and looks decent - at least it does on models with textured wood.

I use black primer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I paint mine by painting the hands a flesh color and the shaft a light to medium wood color. Then I wash the shaft and the hands (and face) with a thinned brown ink. I let the ink accumulate at the borders of the hands, spear head, and along any edge that contacts the body. This is a fast technique I use for rank and file troops. If it was a hero I might add a light drybrush of a light brown color to bring out some of the wood grain.

This is the best close up of a Empire troop holding a spear/halberd pole that I had at the moment using the above technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

holy crap thanks. both of you, such a quick responce, and a picture too, wow... and just wanna check my colours, would painting the hands dwarf flesh and pole bronzed flesh with a chestnut ink wash work? i'm pretty sure bronzed flesh is a no go, but i never thought to buy a wood colour. and i also didn't really think about how long faces would take... what's a good rank and file quick work? i'm starting to regreat getting dark/dwarf/elf fleash for a three shade layering technique... at least everyone won't have the exact same skin tone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to find chestnut ink a little too red for my tastes in wood, but there's no reason it can't be used. I prefer brown. You can wash the flesh a different color than the wood. I just do both at once to save time.

Beastial brown works for wood. Lacking that you can add white or black to any brown to make it the shade you want.

To vary flesh colors on rank and file troops I usually line them up five at a time and paint group of five one skin color, another skin for the next five, etc. Then I washthem all at once.

For rank and file I just do away with multiple color shadings. It takes too long. My Empire army has many blocks of troops of 20+ each. If I tried to paint each face three colors, wash and drybrush it would take forever.

Here's how I do my rank and file troops:Speed Painting Workshop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oi i'm in over my head. learning to do a decent job painting models is apperently a much larger job then i first imagined... you mentioned a lot of 'use this colour if you want'. i'm just being cheap and hoping to get by with the colours i have, i think i might as well go out and buy another half dozen paints. such as the cheast nut brown i have, is that ink good for anything? or should i just retire it to a shealf and go buy brown. maybe if i'm lucky i might be able to trade it in... and beastial brown, was that the brown you mentioned to be used on skin and wood, or just the wood? and sorry to be asking so many questions that are all probaly things i should already know. if you have noob guides that cover all this and don't want me bugging you so much i'd be happy to read them all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technically you can get by with Red, Yellow, Blue, Black and White. However you'd have to be a very skilled painter to use such a limited pallet, and you'd spend a lot of time mixing. The more paints you have the easier it is to get the effect you want. I have paints not only for the color, but different brands because of the properties the paint has. Some drybrush easier, some thin better, etc. I didn't buy them all at once, but accumulated them as I tried out new brands.

Bestial Brown is a medium shade of brown. It is good for wood, leather, hair and such. Probably too dark for most skins, but might make a good final highlight for dark skin tones.

Chestnut is a very good wash for copper and reddish-gold colors, various shades of leather, skins, and red hair to name a few things. Keep it, you'll end up using it.

Painting isn't hard to learn. It just takes a lot of practice to master, if any one ever does. The great thing is there's always new techniques to learn and things to paint. It's a hobby that always stays interesting.

Some guides for new painters:
    Starting to Paint
    Dry Brushing
    Space Wolves: A Basic Paint Theme

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any tips on how to thin paint for just a small basis? water causes problems with its surface tention as you mentioned. it came up when i was trying to paint the faces of my guys(still on the spearmen). it was to thick and stated to blot out details, after i added some water it either pooled at random places or filled the gaps more then i would have liked. i'm thinking i need to use the paint in smaller amounts on my brush, is that my problem or what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a bottle of acrylic thinner or mix a batch of your own (see my speed painting article for some mixes, link above) in a bottle that has a dropper spout. Then you can add one drop at a time to a small amount of paint, and thin it to you tastes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's your sujestions on how much of a model can be constructed before it's first layer of paint? i just got a regiment of militia and quickly made up my huntsmen. looking at them, i relize it'll be near impossible to paint some areas effectvily. how much of a model can i assemble before i paint it, and any tips on painting those loose arms that i'm not attaching to the body?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast