I Suck At Painting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well first off i play tau, i got my color schemes down for the most part, but i cant keep my hands from shaking for my life, i also have trouble painting straight lines and seeing the little "vallies(sp?)" that seperate the armor segments etc. any advice for a painter wanting to straighten out the lines on his work?

W/D/L
    Tau - Knights of the Frozen Wastes
    10/2/4

Necrons - The Phalanx of Gleaming Death
    2/0/0

CSM - Iron Warriors
    Coming Soon

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Besides practise you could use a pencil to paint small areas (which you seem to have trouble with). I'm not that good at painting either, so don't worry.
    You call those cheap implants boobs?
    They aren't boobs, they're lies!

http://download.theforce.net/theater...orkman_480.mov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

One thing that I have heard and tried is when you are doing any kind of precise detail work to take a deep breath and hold it in while you paint. Also resting your elbows on the table top while holding the figure and the paintbrush will help as well.

cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just rest my elbows on a talbe, make sure your hands are pressing against each other for stability (if you are lucky, they will shake the same way at the same time - trust me I know) and breathe in...

that's all i got...

the more you can stabilise everything, the better...

I have the worlds worst hands, they are almost like i have permanent nerve damage...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x2)

The best way to paint between armor plates ("the valleys") that I've found (I paint space marines, check out my gallery&#33 is to make sure the paint on your brush isn't too watery. For this, you can take a little bit straight from the pot, then wipe off the excess. Basically with a dry brushing type motion, just run the brush on the armor, then over the gap and no paint should fall in. Just make sure your stroke is perpendicular to the gap, obviously.

The more you do this, the better you'll get and you can ignore the odd gap fill when it does happen, because it won't happen often. If you get too much paint in your gaps, thin down some black paint to watery consistency (or use black ink) and a very fine brush, then fill those gaps with black! You can then go back and paint around the gaps which will be easier to see since you'll have your armor painted already.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks all, red_talon, that pencil idea sounds interesting, what do i do? dip the pencil tip in the paint and then trace the vallies, also i heard a suggestion to use markers,like really fine tip, is this a good idea(for the vallies)? Is there some sort of special hobby marker or what?
    W/D/L
    10/2/4

2/0/0

CSM - Iron Warriors
    Coming Soon

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I use Micron Pigma pens .005 sized. They work great though you need to let them dry for about 24 hours and seal them otherwise they run.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by chaos0xomega@Jan 10 2005, 18:33
    thanks all, red_talon, that pencil idea sounds interesting, what do i do? dip the pencil tip in the paint and then trace the vallies, also i heard a suggestion to use markers,like really fine tip, is this a good idea(for the vallies)? Is there some sort of special hobby marker or what?
    [snapback]299012[/snapback]
    Get a lead pencil with really strong lead. The lead should be fairly thin to get into the smaller areas. Usually 0.7 mm lead is fine if you don't press too hard. Normal pencils work fine too, but I find that a bit of the graphite chips off if you just recently sharped it.
    You call those cheap implants boobs?
    They aren't boobs, they're lies!

http://download.theforce.net/theater...orkman_480.mov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks, great advice, maybe there is still hope for me yet, and resting my elbows on the table top and holding my breath will help stabilize correct?
    W/D/L
    10/2/4

2/0/0

CSM - Iron Warriors
    Coming Soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

I have read many posts on this topic and they all seem to suggest that holding your breath in will work as does bracing your elbows on the table.

Cheers,

-Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast