Gw Paints: - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gw Paints:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Hard Aun@Dec 24 2004, 047
    For crying out guys, do PLEASE realise that GW Acrylic Paints are concentrates !

They are designed to be diluted with water ! If you persist in using them neat from the pot you guarentee yourself a crappy, muddy paint job. Furthermore, the paint in the pot will dry up that much faster, and you will end up having to buy replacements.

I paint a lot. I have about 15,000 points across my four armies. And because I manage my paints sensibly, I tend to buy aproximately one replacement pot every two months or so. Many of my paints pots are five years old or so.

Get yourself a Stay-Wet palette and learn what painting is all about.

[snapback]285220[/snapback]
    I've painted for a little while (a few months) and I never knew GW paints were concentrate. Did I miss something somewhere? I never knew, and never saw anything to suggest as such in any White Dwarfs, codexes, or on the paints themselves.

So, forgive a "newbie", or rather, a painter who's experience has taught him wrong, but how does one make GW paints work best? I understand that you dilute them with water, but how and how much. Do you scoop a little out of a pot, spread it on a palatte, mix in X number of drops, mix and go? Or do you add water directly to the paint in the pot? How do you do it properly?

Either way, does anyone else feel that for the prices, GW should make their paints ready to use?

Just looking for guidance. Please help. I'd go Vallejo paints as many suggest, but I can't find any of them where I live, and I don't fancy ordering my paints through mail or over eBay.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O.K. i'll tell you what i do...
    as most pots are only about 9/10 full, i just add a few drops of water, till its about 19/20 full, so just a little, then shake it a lot, the after the shake, i put some on my brush, that's when you can really see how thick it is, by looking at it and doing a few squiggles on my desk, i then add any water if it's required, untill it's at a thickness that i like, but the paints i only use for drybrushing are left how they are, so it's easier.
    cheers
    if you are reading this signature, then you are wasting you're time, and i am wasting my time by writing it, so run along now, jimmy, run along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Originally posted by Houston@Jan 13 2005, 08:49
    Do you scoop a little out of a pot, spread it on a palatte, mix in X number of drops, mix and go? Or do you add water directly to the paint in the pot? How do you do it properly?

Either way, does anyone else feel that for the prices, GW should make their paints ready to use?

Just looking for guidance. Please help. I'd go Vallejo paints as many suggest, but I can't find any of them where I live, and I don't fancy ordering my paints through mail or over eBay.
    [snapback]301749[/snapback]
    This is exactly why I like vallejo or for that matter a eye dropper bottle. You could always get empty eye dropper bottles and transfer your GW paint over. The big issue with GW paint isn't so much the quality but rather the pots themselfs. They tend to dry up rather quick and mixing isn't exactly an exact science. I would suggest against adding water to the paint pots directly and an even better solution to mixing paint on a palette would be to use an extender or flow aid (found at art stores).

I have ordered vallejo paints online with no problems.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

Originally posted by slorak@Jan 13 2005, 18:37
    ...I would suggest against adding water to the paint pots directly and an even better solution to mixing paint on a palette would be to use an extender or flow aid (found at art stores)...
    [snapback]301799[/snapback]
    You will find that flow extenders make the paints slightly more translucent, although this is a great aid for certain effects (like flesh and horses). However, far and away the best device for using any kind of Acrylic paints efficiently and cheaply is the Stay-Wet palette. If you can find a Art store that sells Acrylic Flow Extender, then that store will also sell Stay-Wet Palettes.

It will pay for itself in the first year, because of all the paint that you save (that would otherwise dry on the saucer before you can apply it to the model), and you can make superb colour mixes, graduated blends and the paint will always be at exactly the right degree of dilution for the effect you want to achieve.
    Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Hard Aun said, stay wet palettes are a gift of the gods! My mother used one for her painting and I stole it from her (might buy one that's slightly smaller) and I got to do my whole techmarine without having to do another blend because the last one was dry.

Edit: The humidity of the palette causes the paint to be a tad diluted wich is a good thing with most GW paint.
    <span style='font-family:Impact'>I&#39;m the elephant under your bed... well not really but I have him tied up and I&#39;m worse...</span>
    <a href='http://www.the-waaagh.com/' target='_blank'>Waaagh&#33;&#33;&#33;</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

If you thin a paint at all it will become more translucent. The issue I guess would be how much do you dillute it (wether with water, extender, etc.). As a matter of fact if the paint is more translucent (meaning thin) then it will look better on the model though it will take more coats to get the rich colors you desire. So I guess it would be more of a matter of do you want quick average looking figures, or better figures that take longer to do.

Also of note - the Vallejo paints when thinned still cover very well - there are a few colors that get more transparent but for the most part they thin well and still cover.

You can achieve wetblends without a wet palette but I agree I have heard tremendous things about the wet palette and plan on getting one soon.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow&#33; Thanks for all your responses everyone. That was quick&#33;

I&#39;ll definitely look into a stay-wet palatte and see if I can find one at a local hobby store. Failing that, I might try adding a little water to the paints, or I might even cave and order Vallejo paints.

One more question, if you care to answer: how exactly to stay-wet palattes work? What&#39;s the process involved. I know I&#39;ll probably be able to find out at a hobby store, but I&#39;m going away for a week and won&#39;t be able to get there for a while.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It&#39;s a system with water, waxed paper and paper towels if I recall correctly.. I&#39;m too lazy to check right now but you have a small compartement on the side where you put your water and the paper slowly takes it in and since the wax paper only stops water and not humidity the paint stays in liquid form.
    <span style='font-family:Impact'>I&#39;m the elephant under your bed... well not really but I have him tied up and I&#39;m worse...</span>
    <a href='http://www.the-waaagh.com/' target='_blank'>Waaagh&#33;&#33;&#33;</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

Theres slightly more to it than Spider says. Its basically a tray, with types of paper lining the bottom, reservoir paper (pulp paper, known in Great Britain as blotting paper) and on top of that, membrane paper, which is very thin, slightly porus and translucent. Both these papers can be replaced as they get worn, although th membrane paper can be gently cleaned and used again and again. There is also a lid that provides a more or less airtight seal when the palette is not being used.

And you basically pour water onto the reservoir paper until it is waterlogged and then lay the membrane paper in top of it. This too becomes damp, by capilliary action. And any paint that is depostied directly onto the membrane now stays damp for a very long time... certainly for hours if not days.
    Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

The Uncivil Servent Mikhail The Heretic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

I&#39;ve never had to use anything like that i just paint straight from the pot after wetting my brush and then wiping the excess off on a bit of paper all my models turn out really well.

Horus betrayed the Emperor because the Emperor crushed his favorite puppy with his Land Raider

Quote Originally Posted by Grephaun
    It's all about real ultimate power redoing the forum skin in pink and plaid

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast