How Do You Stay Interested In It? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i used to pace myself, i'd buy one blister pack and not get another until i had painted it, this way almost everything i owned was almost always fully painted.

I recently changed my ways and bought pretty much a whole army at once and then assembled and primed them all at once.

How do you stay sane painting large groups of similar minis? Im a decent painter, but i just can't stomach painting this many at once. even if i paint one mini at a time i get discouraged when i finish 'one' and see 30 left to go.

How do you do it? Please Help?!?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same problem, but the trick is to put all the minis out of sight except for lets say one squad and complete that squad before moving on to the next. That way the task seems less daunting in the same way as when u did one blister at a time. Out of sight, out of mind.
    “ Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man. ” - Thomas Paine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I do in that situation is just paint atleast 1 model of each type or squad so I know atleast what they are gonna look like. Then I usually go down the list in my codex.(HQ, Elites, Troops, ect...) Except for my Necrons, because they all look the same. :blink: Good luck.

~THC
    Win/Lose/Draw
    Necrons: RETIRED
    Harlequins: RETIRED

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my BIGGEST problem when it comes to the hobby. I can't finish anything. I've been playing for 6 years, and I don't have a SINGLE fully painted army. It's horribly embarassing, but I'm determined to finish my Bronze Axes space marines.

The problem for me is it takes me around 2 and a half hours to paint a single model, because I can't stand to paint any less than the best I can do, which is pretty darn good nowadays. By the time I'm half way through with painting my army, I either lose interest in the game system for a while, or lose interest with the army. Once I get back into the game system, I usually pick a new army and stop using my old one, which results in the army never getting painted. I'm getting a little better with the painting time for my space marines though... these guys only take about an hour and a half to paint.
    I really am great, aren't I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same problem with my Grey Knights, i can get discouraged, even though there arent many to paint, the way i paint them takes FOREVER. But they turn out wicked nice when im done, so i just keep thinking of the finished result and not what i have to paint left, or how many.

When i played LotR for a while, painting my gondor guys got very boring, because they all looked the same, and was very easy to paint. But looked really good when you see a bunch of them together, so i just cept my mind on that.

Plus watching a movie, or listening to music while your painting can help you get your mind off the amount of guys your doing, and how long it takes. You dont really seem to keep count cause your focusing on the movie or song in the background, so it goes by faster
    Armies:
    [40k] - Dark Eldar
    ========================================
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...-Signature.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

There are a few things that I do.

first and formost now when I am painting regular troops and a lot of them I take them for what they are and don't necessarily try to get the best possible shading and details. I usually stick with a base, shadow, hightlight or 2 and call it a day. (I am referring to the models with less detail such as the plastic plague marines). It doesn't matter really how well they are painted their detail still pretty much sucks.

The 2nd thing I do is assembly line them. I base coat about 10 at a time and then go through shading them all, and highlighting. I do all the details about the same on all of them at the same time. The one benefit from doing this is when done you will have 10 fully finished figures. The other thing is the paint is usually dry on the first by the time you are done with the 10th so you can keep going.

Hope this inspires you some.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

It depends on the level of detail in the model. When I did my necrons, they could be done one box (12) at a time. Now that I'm painting Daemonic Legion and SoB I rarely do them in groups of more than six.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trick is to paint them to a lower standard than you can :)
    I paint over a white undercoat so after one layer, or two at most, over the whole figure it's ready for gaming, if I use thin colours there will even be some highlights. Then, when I feel up to it I start painting the next stages, inking it and highlighting most of the model. Then the next time I start painting details and finish it up. There might be months between the stages and I can get several squads painted quickly at each stage so the entire army will be at about the same level of detail. Characters and other special pieces are exceptions of course.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
    The other 2% are smart enough to question the 'science' behind that number...
    And it's spelled EMPEROR!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't keep sane. I slowly torture myself through grobi after grobi. ;/

Well, what I do is putting on some good music (ie: everything I have in my collection) paint regiments by regiments, not model by model.
    And if I don't make my models unique, I don't have any urges to paint them.
    If you take a look at my night goblins, you'll get the idea.
    It will make my army look silly, but I'll have more fun doing it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Pace yourself, with variety. Do loads of grunts and when you can't take any more, do a vehicle or character. These should be sufficiently different to refresh you enough to allow you to make a further assault on daubing the masses.

And it gives you a fairly balanced army composition if you build your army as you paint (as I do).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast