Need Help Painting Ultramarine - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need advice on painting UltraMarines... I have gone to several painting lessons at GW and spent alot of hours on painting ; However, I just cant seem to get the highlitings or the shading look good. And getting the right blue look same with white gold and silver. Im very confused with how to Dry brush and I can't get my guys to look like table top quality.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you able to post a picture? Its hard to coment on what might be the problem without actaully seeing the miniature.

Or perhaps you can describe in more detail what you don't like about your results?

Don't worry about matching the colors from White Dwarf or the codex. Just make all your army match each other. Many of the photographs published by GW are color corrected so it would be very hard to match the exact color without mixing your own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by WolfRaider@Jan 17 2005, 11:41
    Are you able to post a picture? Its hard to coment on what might be the problem without actaully seeing the miniature.

Or perhaps you can describe in more detail what you don't like about your results?

Don't worry about matching the colors from White Dwarf or the codex. Just make all your army match each other. Many of the photographs published by GW are color corrected so it would be very hard to match the exact color without mixing your own.
    [snapback]305166[/snapback]
    Im sorry if i didn't specificly specify what I did not like about my space marines. I am not able to get a picture thou . Ive seen alot of space Marines and the highlights are perfectly straight, not all messed up and i was wondering how you get it straight. I was also wondering on how to shade... do you guys use ink? And every time I try to put red or white or gold.. it does not seem to go on black, should I use white primer????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Some transparent colors either take more thin coats to become opaque or you could always do a white undercoat or lighter more opaque version of the color you want to achieve.

black primer has its advantages such as making the model look cleaner if you end up missing any spots as it will appear to be shadow. White primer will make the colors more vivid but at the expense of showing white spots if you miss any areas.

As for exaggerated highlights on the armor - it you are trying for clean lines I would suggest resting your elbows on the table and maybe even holding your breath as you paint this will help you maintain a steady hand. Otherwise the other method is to paint, paint, paint, and paint some more until you get the hang of it. I myself prefer a more natural look to the shading on the Space Marine armor and wet blend to a desired highlight.

Inks have their place and make shading really easy but you just need to be aware that they tend to be very glossy. Usually hitting the figure with dullcote will take care of that problem.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice.. it is true that my hands go steady when I hold my breath. Ink usually tend to make the creeks a bit shiny and watery. I have seen Undeadair's first painted army and that's exactly how I want my Ultramarines to look like so i won't be embarresed on how bad my guys look when I play. GW said to either leave the crack black or paint over it and go over it with chaos black... Is it true that you have to leave every single crack black?

I will Buy some New assualt marines and paint them and post them up sometime in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by [Predator]@Jan 17 2005, 214
    Is it true that you have to leave every single crack black?
    [snapback]305607[/snapback]
    You don't have to do anything. You can paint them any way you want.

If you do want the cracks black the easiest way it to try and leave them black, but don't waste a lot of time trying to miss them when painting. Once you're done, use a little black ink on a fine pointed brush, touch the tip of the brush to the crack, using very little ink on the brush, and let the ink run into the crack. It works much better if you thin the ink with rubbing alcohol.

+ Reply to Thread