Paint Durability - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The paint on my mini's has a habit of wearing off very easily. Especially on the metal models. Basically a couple of handlings later and the paint on the hard corners will already be wearing thin.

I primer with GW black primer. And I paint with water thinned GW paints.

I realize I could use a gloss, but I don't want my guys looking all glossy. And while I realize there is a matte finish out there, I don't here very many people saying much about it. And I have heard several people say that they prefer not using it. But then they may not know what they are talking about.

I also recognize this could be because of something I am doing wrong.

Any suggestions are welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Definitely use gloss varnish as it's the hardest wearing out there. If it's too shiny then cut back the shine with a layer or two of a matte varnish (like Testor's Dullcote).
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Originally posted by CBrate@Jan 19 2005, 020
    Definitely use gloss varnish as it's the hardest wearing out there. If it's too shiny then cut back the shine with a layer or two of a matte varnish (like Testor's Dullcote).
    [snapback]306589[/snapback]
    I agree with using the Testors Dullcote. Here is what I use to a very good effect. I use Krylon Crystal Clear matte varnish spray (a couple coats). This is a bit thicker in terms of durability and does not yellow (which is important&#33 afterwards I give it a coat or 2 of Testors Dullcote which knocks the shine right out of the heavier varnish. The reason why you don't want to use just dullcote is usually the duller the sheen the less protection.

Another thing that I do is at various stages in painting I will hit the model with the varnish spray to protect the underlying paint. I especially do this if I am setting the model aside for any amount of time.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget to wash your miniatures before priming, and avoid handling them with your fingers while painting. The mold release compounds and oils from your hands will weaken the bond. Make sure you are using 'primer' and not chaos black spraypaint as the first coat. They are not formulated the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the answers all.

You had me second guessing myself about making sure I was using actual primer and not black spay paint. But I checked and it is primer. And I don't touch my mini's while painting(hold the base instead). But I do admit to be remiss on washing my mini's which I only do on some of the more important ones.

I will certianly give the gloss spray and testors dullcoat a try though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Woah.. you suddenly made me realise I've been using black spay paint instead of primer. I'd never even heard of primer up until today and I've been collecting for years. Crazy. I wondered why my paint was never very durable.

Annoyingly, I've just started painting a new army, and already have some minis half finished. Is it worth stripping and redoing them, or should I just use varnish and hope for the best?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Originally posted by The_Giant_Mantis@Jan 21 2005, 15:27
    Woah.. you suddenly made me realise I've been using black spay paint instead of primer. I'd never even heard of primer up until today and I've been collecting for years. Crazy. I wondered why my paint was never very durable.

Annoyingly, I've just started painting a new army, and already have some minis half finished. Is it worth stripping and redoing them, or should I just use varnish and hope for the best?
    [snapback]308933[/snapback]
    If you plan on playing with them I would strip them and do them right. Otherwise they will start to have the paint come off. If they are for a collection - it probably isn't a huge deal.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

Damn.. They were looking great, but I suppose it's for the best.

What's the best way to strip paint from minis without taking off too much detail? I'm understandably nervous about potentially ruining something I've payed a lot of money for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by The_Giant_Mantis@Jan 21 2005, 20:56
    What's the best way to strip paint from minis without taking off too much detail? I'm understandably nervous about potentially ruining something I've payed a lot of money for.
    [snapback]309030[/snapback]
    There's a pinned thread at the top of this forum on stipping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never had a problem with paint coming off my models.

Tend to use a gloss varnish followed by a spray coat of purity seal to take the shine off.

Is Testor's Dullcote available in the UK? I'd rather paint my varnish on than spray it cos then I know i've not missed any!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast