Inks, Washes, and Ink-washes... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inks, Washes, and Ink-washes...

wha? huh? what the hell!

OK, so i get that an ink is meant to fill in all the "nooks and cranies" and what not. And i thought that washes were meant to sort of tint a base color, like painting a wash over a generic armour color to accent it. and i think an ink wash is when you smother the whole thing in an ink to get it looking a little rugged and weathered or somethng.

but then i ask people for color suggestions and they suggest i use an INK as a WASH, but not an INK-WASH and well my poor brain just gets confused so anyone know the particulars of all this??

is there something intrinsicly different between inks and washes?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inks will fill in the 'nooks and crannies'. It will also add more depth to a base coat. It will give the higher points of the model some more shade, deepening the color. So the ink 'wash' adds to the cracks and also highlights the model.

If more water is added to it, the ink itself will become more of a shade wash. It will not add much highlight to raised regions, but will add more shade to niches in the model. A wash of paint will also do this, but will not add any color to the high parts of the model (or very little).

If you want to add some brillinace to colors, deepen them, or add some dark shading, ink can do this. If you want to just add some darker shade to the cracks of the mini, washes of paints (watered down paint) can do this.

Closed Thread