Painting Plague Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Hello,

Just thought I would share the latest batch of plague marines that I cooked up for a client of mine. These are relatively quick and dirty marines (30 of them) done in about 20 hours worth of time.

the armor is a 5 step process:

Base with Vallejo Game Color Cayman Green
    Ink wash of brown ink
    re-coat of Cayman green (leaving brown dark recesses)
    1st highlight of 1:1 ratio of Cayman green and camoflauge green
    2nd highlight of 3:1 ratio Dead flesh and Camo Green (note 3 drops dead flesh to 1 drop Camo)

the first and 2nd highlights are applied in a striation patter from top to bottom with the 1st highlight going further down and the 2nd highlight stopping about 3/4 down the 1st highlight.

Trim is done with brass, hoses are painted black, metal is gunmental grey and then washed with vallejo smoke, pipes on jetpack are done in a copper, and finally the open woulds were based in pale flesh and then washed with purple and red ink (separately).

Overall I am very pleased with how they turned out. Gun barrels are not drilled out due to them being shipped to me already assembled and primed. Normally I would have cleaned these up as well.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Cheers,

-Mike

Last edited by slorak; October 18th, 2005 at 20:18.

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those are RAD!!
    I'll go out on a wild goose chase here if you don't mind.
    *Chasing geese*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Originally posted by zenarion@Jan 25 2005, 14:57
    those are RAD!!
    [snapback]312227[/snapback]
    Thanks! I wish they had the guns drilled out but that is the way they were shipped to me! Otherwise I think the formula was both quick and very effective. I spent about 5-7 hours on each squad of 10.

cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x2)

Wow... just wow.

If you really painted 30 marines in 20 hours with that quality, I bow to your skill!

That's some excellent work, man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Originally posted by Undeadair@Jan 25 2005, 22:14
    Wow... just wow.

If you really painted 30 marines in 20 hours with that quality, I bow to your skill!

That's some excellent work, man!
    [snapback]312513[/snapback]
    Thanks for the kind words. I assembly lined them and broke them down into 3 10 man squads. Keep in mind that I didn't assemble or prime these figures. If so then you can easily tack on 2-4 more hours!

What I did was pretty much stay focused and did the same on all the units slowly building them up. I started with a very thin base color that was applied rather sloppy using a larger tank sized brush. After the ink wash I went back with my normal size 1 brush and started building up the color. After the armor was done I did the trim and all the metals. Finally went back and did the hosing, eyes, open wounds, and all the details. Each set of 20 marines took me about 6 - 8 hours (3 to 4 paint sessions). They definitely aren't showcase level but I think they will stand their ground on the game table!

Cheers,

-Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x2)

I'm wondering if I can apply your techniques to my Ultramarines. I mean, I like the way my stuff turns out, but I'm extremely slow. Obviously, my models are not showcase quality, but they still take me 5 hours each minimum. I don't use inks either (except for my terminators, which you saw) so you'd think I'd be quicker! Any suggestions for speed on my army?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Y) excellent man! good job!

those are oldskool plague marines aren't they?
    Woman:"We cant treat everyone equally when they're clearly not! What's that called kids?"
    Kids: "Communism!!"

Post all ya gobbo wins and ya stoopid orcses losses here! Da Big Green Tracka!

(\_/)
    (0.0) Worship the bunny, for he is thy God.
    (><)

Senior Member Bobby_Wokkerfella's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

They are o.k, not to my particular liking as I love my nurgle warriors to be slimy, silver trimmed and muted. I also HATE the oldschool plauge marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Originally posted by Undeadair@Jan 26 2005, 00:26
    I'm wondering if I can apply your techniques to my Ultramarines. I mean, I like the way my stuff turns out, but I'm extremely slow. Obviously, my models are not showcase quality, but they still take me 5 hours each minimum. I don't use inks either (except for my terminators, which you saw) so you'd think I'd be quicker! Any suggestions for speed on my army?
    [snapback]312555[/snapback]
    Maybe you are using too small of a brush. Like I said I started with a much larger brush and wasn't going for accuracy on the first layers. That sped things up quite a bit. Also on these particular figures - detail isn't the most prominant thing! Other than that I would think the more you paint and the more experience you get you would learn the shortcuts and speed up quite a bit. I still don't consider myself to be a "fast" painter especially when going for more detail - but I have been painting miniatures off and on for the last 20 years. I think that now for painters there are tremendous resources on the web to learn new techniques and speed up your learning curve that were not available even 4 years ago.

@crazi_nurgling149 - Thanks! Yes those are the old plastic ones. Definitely not highly detailed and very static in their pose but still loveable in their own way!

@Bobby_Wokkerfella - To each their own. If (in my opinion) you could pull off shiny at this scale I agree with you that "slimy" would be appropriate for warriors of nurgle but usually (especially if you cover a large area of the figure) shiny just takes away from the painting and the effect is lost. I personally think a dead flat finish on a figure helps it to stand out better. Now if I have a scenic element on my figure that would benefit from some shine I will paint that area with a gloss varnish. For example I did a great unclean one where I gloss varnished a puss pool leaking from the GUO's intestines on the base:

I too don't really care for the plastics other than on a nostalgic level but that is what my client sent me - so that is what I painted!

Cheers,

-Mike
    Last edited by slorak; October 18th, 2005 at 20:23.

Senior Member Bobby_Wokkerfella's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Yeah, I do know that on flat areas and on models such as these large areas of gloss does detract from the models overall effect. May I ask how you did the axe? It has the exact effect I&#39;m looking for.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast