Protective Coating? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you apply matte varnish? Do you have to apply anything else before using the varnish? Is matte varnish the protective coat spray stuff? If not then what is? Thanks in advance.

~THC

Win/Lose/Draw
    Necrons: RETIRED
    Harlequins: RETIRED

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

You can get a brush on varnish or a spray varinish. Usually the flatter the varnish the lest protection it gives. My suggestion would be to use a semi-gloss varnish, followed by a flat varnish such as Testor's Dullcote. That way you get the protection without the shine.

You don't need to do anything special just spray or paint it on. As a matter of fact I actually tend to spray on a coat of the Krylon Crystal clear whenever I am satisfied with an area of the figure - that way there is less chance of me damaging it while working.

What I use is Krylon Crystal Clear varnish spray (usually 2 passes) followed by 2 passes of Testor's Dullcote.

Works great!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thanks. Will it make the model look thick or does it go on nicely over to make it look pretty much the same.(not like globbed on)

~THC
    Win/Lose/Draw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should not change the look of the model drastically at all. Sometimes your colors will blend together a little bit, but that is generly the only side-effect. Just make sure you do light coats.
    Actually, now that I think about it, there can be issues with a varnish getting "misty". This is the result of spraying them in improper tempatures and not waiting for the paint to completly cure. To avoid this, wait 1 day(or at least a few hours) after the painting of the mini, and spray them when the weather is nice(think 60-80, medium to low humidity). If the weather is terrible, spray them outside on a piece of wood or something, than rush them into a well ventelated part of the house(a bathroom with a fan works well for this). Just be sure to not leave them in a unventelated part of the house, as the spray is toxic. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

If you apply it in multiple thin coats (letting each one dry thoroughly) it shouldn't look gloopy.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Originally posted by Yentz@Jan 28 2005, 16:45
    It should not change the look of the model drastically at all. Sometimes your colors will blend together a little bit, but that is generly the only side-effect. Just make sure you do light coats.
    Actually, now that I think about it, there can be issues with a varnish getting "misty". This is the result of spraying them in improper tempatures and not waiting for the paint to completly cure. To avoid this, wait 1 day(or at least a few hours) after the painting of the mini, and spray them when the weather is nice(think 60-80, medium to low humidity). If the weather is terrible, spray them outside on a piece of wood or something, than rush them into a well ventelated part of the house(a bathroom with a fan works well for this). Just be sure to not leave them in a unventelated part of the house, as the spray is toxic. Good luck.
    [snapback]315173[/snapback]
    Also you don't want to be too far away from the miniature. 6"-12" max. This could cause frosting as well. But Humidity and temperature are a big deal. I live in Southern California so the weather is usually alwasy ideal.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a certain kind I should look for to not get a shiney look. I hate them when they are shiney.

~THC
    Win/Lose/Draw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

If you are only going to use one brand and you have it available I would recommend Testor's Dullcote. It is the best at leaving a model dead flat.

Cheers,

-Mike

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard giving the model a coat of normal protection varnish and then a coat of dull varnish should get rid of shineyness and still keep the protection. Can anyone confirm that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

That is what I do. I use Krylon Crystal Clear varnish (it is non-yellowing) which gives it a stronger coat and I follow it up with a couple of coats of Testor's Dullcote. So far they have been durable.

Cheers,

-Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast