Blackwashing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blackwashing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Did anyone here try the blackwash technique before? I found it here.. http://www.imaginate.net/miniature_advance....html#technique

But can't find any more info for it on Google, and can't understand from that link whether the figure should start off primed or not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The article you linked is showing the technique without priming first. He washes the bare miniature then drybrushes color. However, you can black (or brown) wash at several points during painting to create shadows.

I would recommend priming white first to have an even base color before washing, and to increase the durability. Then you could wash first and drybrush color. Personally I find painting all the base colors over the white, then black washing to be faster and create better shadows.

Base color (no details yet), first color only:
    pre-wash

Black wash (after base colors painted):
    post-wash

You can see my whole article on combining a black wash over color for fast painting of miniatures here: Speed Painting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I see.. what kind of effect do you think you would get if you used a black primer and then did the effect with WHITE wash?..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by red120@Jan 30 2005, 218
    I see.. what kind of effect do you think you would get if you used a black primer and then did the effect with WHITE wash?..
    [snapback]316848[/snapback]
    Your shadows would be backwards. All the white would sink into the recesses, as a wash should, and the highlights would be dark. You can prime black and drybrush the whole miniature with white before painting with thinned colors. That way the white shows through a little on the highlights and makes them appear brighter.

+ Reply to Thread