Magnetic "levitation" - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey peoples, i was wondering if anyone would think it is possible to make a model "float" in the air by reversing polarity on several magnets (i.e. lining up the '+' to the '+&#39. You could do this by getting about 5 medium strength magnets, and setting up the base on your model in a hemispherical shape. Put the 5 magnets in the bottom evenly spaced out (think of a square with a point in the middle, and one magnet on each corner and one in the center), and put one on the bottom of the model directly in the center (or put several evenly spaced ones on the bottom) with the same polarity facing outwards as the other magnets on the base.

I was thinking this could work on a Necron Destroyer, a SM Land Speeder, or something of the ilk. Just a stupid idea i had, so please tell me if it would potentially work or not. I have some magnets on the way, so i am going to experiment with it.
    -Marcus

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it wouldn't work the magnets would just make the model flip over :o but try any way you might be able to find a way to prevent this
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>can&#39;t you handle a triple</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shas&#39;O&#39;M&#39;Yen &#064; Feb 27 2005, 04:04)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well said</div>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by chaos lord92@Feb 6 2005, 23:18
    it wouldn&#39;t work the magnets would just make the model flip over :o but try any way you might be able to find a way to prevent this
    [snapback]322533[/snapback]
    Perhaps adding some sort of counterweight by putting some lead pellets for my air rifle into the bottom of the model? These things are small, heavy, and lead, meaning they wont affect the way the magnets pull. I really want to make this work, because i think the clear plastic thing to hold the models up is just God awful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

The magnets will just flip the model over. If you somehow restrain the model to prevent it flipping it will just slide off your magnetic base.
    Barring some kind of tether and/or mechanical rotation I don&#39;t think the model will be stable. Even if you do manage to make it work the setup will be clunky and you&#39;d wish for the old flying bases again.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I can&#39;t give you the mathematics of it, but getting a stable suspension is simply impossible with ordinary magnets. There was a long threat about it over on (now defunct/changed) Eldar On-Line. The bottom line is that you can create a somewhat stable arrangement by tying the "floating" model down at three points to keep it from flipping over or sliding off, but if you&#39;re looking for having it simply float there, you need something else.

On the other hand, do I misremember a Taco Bell give-away toy from Star Wars Ep. 1 that had a Naboo fighter suspended on a base?

Harumph.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to make one tied down
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>can&#39;t you handle a triple</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shas&#39;O&#39;M&#39;Yen &#064; Feb 27 2005, 04:04)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well said</div>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can think of ways to do it in a diorama, but nothing that would be suitable for gaming, the bases are too small.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, maybe just a dab of super glue on the model in three places for stabilization with a thread on each one or fishing line. I am going to try this, and i will post pictures if it is a success, which i will work very hard to make it be. Wish me luck&#33; My magnets should be here by Thursday, so i will have an entire weekend to mess with it.
    -Marcus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you had the middle magnet so that it attaced the model it might stop it flipping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you mean, so that the middle magnet was actually pulling the model down towards the base? The only problem i could see with that is that the center magnet and gravity would make the other magnets almost useless, or also the model would begin spinning because of being off center with the magnet by a little. I will tinker with all of this, and post pictures up here.

+ Reply to Thread