Tips & tricks: Painting foibles and habits... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips & tricks: Painting foibles and habits...

Before i ever got into this game my mom was a bit of an arts and crafts buff, and she took her crafts WAY to seriously but then she was also pretty good at them too though.

The point is, that when i started painting these miniatures I inherited her set of waterbased acriylic paints she had collected from various craft stores.

I did NOT, however inherit here quite extensive collection of brushes numbering over 30 in all of almost every time and size. Apparently they were too good for me to use and i would ruin them or something.

Years later i have finnaly started to realize the benefits of a well maintained and good quality paint brush.

So, what are the sort of odd things you all do when preping, painting, cleaning, etc. your models and supplies and tools?

For starters, i have taken to keeping a bar of regular soap around at all times and everytime i finish with a brush i thouroghly rinse it, rinse it again in a seperate cleaner water cup, and then stroke the still wet brush against a groove i cut in the bar of soap to shape and form it. This way when the brush dries it holds its nice pointy shape and doesn't 'fray' I also imagine that the soap might help keep the brushes clean a bit too. (this technique taught to me by mother dearist of course...)

I also tend to wash my models with rubbing alchol to clean them if they have been sitting in the open and are dusty, that is my unpainted or half painted unvarnished models. My regulars don't sit out in the open. (have also developed a nagging habit of washing my hands when painting, not for paint smears but because i fear grease getting on the model)

I also have a set of pliers, whose metal grips are covered with masking tape, and whose handle is held closed lightly by a rubber band. The masking tape keeps the plier's grips from maring the material/paint surface being held, and the rubber band that keeps them closed lets me hold the model in the air and poistion it with greater ease.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bah, you guys suck, Don't any of you have generic tips or quirky ways of doing things that happen to work real well?

Come on, lets hear `em!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    414 (x8)

I havent painted minis for a long time, but I used to lick the pencil to make it sharp before I started painting
    Blackhat's new blog network for terrain crafters!
    www.terraincrafters.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

To clean it I just move it around in some water and wipe off the paint with toilet paper, and for making the thing sharp I use my lips .
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dunno if its a widespread phenomenon, but as blackhat does, i also "lick" the pencil before i put paint on it, that way it stays "sharp and pointy" so i can paint those small details...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use always some toilet papers to take the old colors off... concerning licking, I don't suggest it, think it may give u the worst stomache ache...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man I&#39;ve got all the toys, ( pinvice, mini vice, Tech pens, clippers 20 odd brushs, etc. )
    I always lick the end of the brush to get it to a sharp point, Some of the best advice I&#39;ve taken is to get a black tech Pen, at first I thought it was cheating, But hey anything to get your minis looking their best is cool in my book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a really useful tool i have found is taking a twist tie and take the paper or plastic off the end so the bare wire is showing. This works great for highlighting edges and getting small areas and details on models.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always just rinse.. clean or whatever... my brushed in water, then I beat them over any surface, normally my hand, just to shake off the excess water...
    Then I just gently twist and form the brush between my fingers...
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

rtsposer that set up sounds really professional. I am just like the other guys. Lick the brush to get the point on it (even with paint on it the amount of times i have walked around with chaos black all over my lips) One good swish around in some water, a rub of tiolet paper or kitchen paper and store, brush up in a jar with the plastic protector thing they come with (the brush must be stored up........ always store up the first lesson i learned about brushes after ruining the first set i bought)
    Just one question do you guys always use citadel brushes or just buy any old common garden varity ones? I know theres no really difference just curious

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast