Assembling/painting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just started a new chaos army and i was wonder who paints and then assembles and who just goes ahead with assembling.
    In my marine army, the first few troops were done assembled and then i switched to painting while they're attached to the frames. The later ones ar e much better but that could be just experience.
    Who paint and then assembles and who assembles and then paints, GW always seem to reccommened Assemble then Paint.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Originally posted by rickyningoo@Feb 22 2005, 04:26
    I just started a new chaos army and i was wonder who paints and then assembles and who just goes ahead with assembling.
    In my marine army, the first few troops were done assembled and then i switched to painting while they're attached to the frames. The later ones ar e much better but that could be just experience.
    Who paint and then assembles and who assembles and then paints, GW always seem to reccommened Assemble then Paint.
    [snapback]335855[/snapback]
    Both methods could work equally as well. Here are a few possible drawbacks to painting on the sprue:

1. It can be harder to properly clean the flash lines. Sometimes when you assemble the plastic parts the seams don't line up properly. If you clean them on the sprue you might not get it lined up right. To correct this you run the risk of ruining your paintjob.

2. You will have to do quite a bit of clean-up work with your paint. If you don't get your color formulas right the colors might not be consitent and you will see lines of different colors where the model was put together.

3. You need to make sure that you leave the parts that are to be glued together - paint free. This can be difficult when working from the sprue.

That said - You could always partially assemble the miniature, leaving off parts that would obscure access to parts of the model. Then paint the pieces and glue them on later. I will frequently leave arms, backpacks, etc. off while painting the main body and attach them later.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by slorak@Feb 22 2005, 07:16
    Both methods could work equally as well. Here are a few possible drawbacks to painting on the sprue:

1. It can be harder to properly clean the flash lines. Sometimes when you assemble the plastic parts the seams don't line up properly. If you clean them on the sprue you might not get it lined up right. To correct this you run the risk of ruining your paintjob.

2. You will have to do quite a bit of clean-up work with your paint. If you don't get your color formulas right the colors might not be consitent and you will see lines of different colors where the model was put together.

3. You need to make sure that you leave the parts that are to be glued together - paint free. This can be difficult when working from the sprue.

That said - You could always partially assemble the miniature, leaving off parts that would obscure access to parts of the model. Then paint the pieces and glue them on later. I will frequently leave arms, backpacks, etc. off while painting the main body and attach them later.

Cheers,

-Mike
    [snapback]335954[/snapback]
    Ingenious! That's what I do.

For Space Marines, I fully assemble them except for the bolters, so I can paint all of the parts without obscuring the view. The problem with sprue painting is that sometiems the pieces are really close to the sprue, and can be hard to reach, and you have to cut the pieces off the sprue and you have to fix them up. I would say that partially assembling them would be far easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Originally posted by gundamfan@Feb 22 2005, 116
    Ingenious! That's what I do.

For Space Marines, I fully assemble them except for the bolters, so I can paint all of the parts without obscuring the view. The problem with sprue painting is that sometiems the pieces are really close to the sprue, and can be hard to reach, and you have to cut the pieces off the sprue and you have to fix them up. I would say that partially assembling them would be far easier.
    [snapback]336108[/snapback]
    I agree with you 100%! Partial assembly is the best way to go about it. The time you think you save by painting on the sprue is made up for in touch ups and other issues.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, yeah well wat about tanks?

I just bought a leman russ and i dont know what to do with it. i was thinking about asembling the bottom half and the the top half but not sticking them together till i painted em...

Yea should i do that then spray and paint it?
    If it wernt for the noobs (me*sob*)...

~Then What Would You Be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

What you want to do if you paint tank parts (or for that matter any multipart) is keep the contact areas clean from primer and paint. There are several things that you can do to get this accomplished.

Anything from tape, blue tac, masking fluid, etc. will work. The big reason you want to do this - is because if you glue over paint it can separate from the actual material (plastic or metal) and loosen its bond. If you glue right to the source it will be a much stronger bond. This is especially true with plastics if you use plastic cement.

Hope that didn't sound too jumbled.

Cheers,

-Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by sekm@Feb 24 2005, 21:17
    Hmmm, yeah well wat about tanks?

I just bought a leman russ and i dont know what to do with it. i was thinking about asembling the bottom half and the the top half but not sticking them together till i painted em...

Yea should i do that then spray and paint it?
    [snapback]338189[/snapback]
    I have a Leman Russ too. Wasn't too ahrd. I assembled the main middle part and stuck the side track parts on, though I left the treads off. I also had the sponsons on. I kept the turret and the machine gun on the turret separate, and I left the machine gun off the turret as well. I also should have kept the exhaust pipes and boxes off of the back, they were hard to paint. So leave those off and paint them separately. I painted the treads straight on the sprue, black with BG Metal drybrushing. The tread coverings were separate as well. It might be helpful to leave off accesories, too.

+ Reply to Thread