Freehand Problems - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, lately ive been working on my brand new Ogre Bruiser.

I wanted to give him some nice battle paint but my freehanding skills are inferior to a Tau's cc ability (My painting is about as good as an IG's cc ability, except heroes, cant screw up heroes... They ALWAYS look good).

So, any tips on how I can keep freehand without making it look like spilled paint?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

To steady those hands rest them both on the table close to each other and hold your breath.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

You have asked a pretty open ended question. There are a lot of things you can do. A couple of suggestions are:

Try doing the freehand in black first then go over it with your next color leaving just the edges black. This will really make it stand out.

If your problem is because of the brush - try other things like Micron Pigma Pens. These may allow you more control.

If shakyness is your problem - as already stated resting your elbows on the table top will work. This is a great technique to combine with taking a deep breath and holding in while you paint (seems silly but really does work).

You can always go back with the color surrounding your freehand to "touch up" areas that don't look quite right.

Last but certainly not least - Take your time. Rushing will definitely have an impact on quality.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if its shakiness, do something that relaxes you before you start. When you start, use one hand to hold the other hand with the brush, and rest your elbows on the table, also i find it good to have the miniature at eye level
    Armies:
    [40k] - Dark Eldar
    ========================================
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...-Signature.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try to lie down while I'm painting. It usually makes it steadier and it is easier to see the model and paint in some more of the intricacies.
    If a tree falls in the woods and there's no one 'round to hear it is it still my fault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What also works if you find that keeping your hand on the table does not keep them much steadier than usual, is keeping them together. Have your wrists touching withg the model in your left hand an the paintbrush in the right. I find that my hands will not be steady, but they will be in sync with eachother, so it is not noticeable. Hope that made sense enough to help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may be uneccesary, but...
    If you are good with scissors and are willing to spend the time, make a mask out of, well, masking tape. Then paint the area, and rip off the mask.

Otherwise, steady your hands like what the others said before. it helps a lot. I'm not sure exactly how some of those Golden Demon winners do it on their models, but I've heard of people taking a brush and super gluing it solid, and then marking with that, so it's like an old quill pen for paint. It should be easier to work with, as long as you glue the point in, and not have the brush all messed up after gluing. I've never tried that though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Originally posted by gundamfan@Feb 23 2005, 23:44
    This may be uneccesary, but...
    If you are good with scissors and are willing to spend the time, make a mask out of, well, masking tape. Then paint the area, and rip off the mask.

Otherwise, steady your hands like what the others said before. it helps a lot. I'm not sure exactly how some of those Golden Demon winners do it on their models, but I've heard of people taking a brush and super gluing it solid, and then marking with that, so it's like an old quill pen for paint. It should be easier to work with, as long as you glue the point in, and not have the brush all messed up after gluing. I've never tried that though.
    [snapback]337477[/snapback]
    I strongly recommend against using masking tape. It is too tacky and will take up the underlying paint. Don't know if this is helpful or not but there are several varieties of liquid mask compound that you paint on and it "rubberizes" Once done with your painting you just peel it off. I can't vouch for it as I haven't tried it but it should work considering vallejo makes a version of it and their paint is designed for miniatures.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you go into a hobby shop, they usually have about 1/4" (5mm) masking tape which is specifically meant for that. I use it to make terrain lines (i.e. road lines, warning labels on bunkers, etc.) and have not used it on models, but the stuff is barely tacky enough to stay on long enough, let alone leave residue on your paint. This stuff is good and cheap, i think it is about $3 for all you will ever need, and is the best thing i have used to date to make crisp lines.

On another note, i have used the technique of putting super glue on your paintbrush to have a "perma-point" on it, and it works wonders. I recently painted a SM Plasma Gun, and i got every single little wire coming out of it a different color thanks to the paintbrush with glue on it. The only problem with it is it does not absorb any paint, so you must keep on dipping it in the paint pot to re-wet the brush. Other than this minor annoyance, it is wonderful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think an X-Acto knife would do you much better than scissors, IMO
    Armies:
    [40k] - Dark Eldar
    ========================================
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...-Signature.jpg

+ Reply to Thread