Painting With White. Some Questions. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all, I'm new to 40k and to these forums and have a question about white paint. I am building a Tau army and want a white color scheme and was told that white is the hardest color to paint by the guys at my local games store. I have attempted to paint one of my FW and its seems they were right. the white is very thick and no matter what i do i can get it to a nice consistency. Would you recommend using the foor wax mixture that i read about on here? Or are there other techniques for using white paint? thanks!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

First off, thinning your paint is important! You could try to start with a medium dark gray, then when it's dry, cover it in a lighter gray, the progressing lighter until you arrive at pure skull white, a few coats maybe of white, that should yield a good white colour, whilst also provides gray shadowing

And if it doesn't work, there are many other ways, but I leave it up to those who are better at painting the I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's how I'm been painting white on my necrons (yes, I said necrons, I went for the alien composite-ceramic/metal looks)

I prime them black. Then I do a fast light undercoat on the soon-to-be-white parts with Fortress Grey. Then I apply one thin coat of Skull White. It will still look like crap at this point. After that dries, I give it another light coat...light as in almost drybrushing... of Skull White. At this point it's white but grainy. I then use the Magic Wash (2 parts water to 1 part Future Acrylic Floor Polish) with a few drops of Skull White mixed in and wash with that. You end up with a nice shiny ceramic-looking white.

I'll post some pics tomorrow when I get them taken...I've done a batch of warriors and a couple of destroyers like that and they look pretty good.

EDIT:

Here's the pics I took today, sorry they kinda suck, I can't figure out how to get my pictures in focus with the camera when they're that close. If someone can point me the way of a FAQ on how to get good closeups I'd appreciate it.

Warriors:

Destroyers:
    This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick Of Seeing More People.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the tips. I'm gonna give it one more try then I'm going with regal blue and scab red Tau. thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not exactly the most experienced painter but I consider myself pretty good.

Anyways, what I do for white is to put on thin coats until it is consistant white. It might take a while but it looks nice.

You could also use a lighter undercoat than black. You might even want to consider a white undercoat, then you only have to do one maybe two layers of white to get rid of the spraypaint texture.
    <-- that room over there in my avatar is full of people who think you are funny...BURN...

"There are some who call me...Tim?" - Tim the Enchanter

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

Multiple coats with white are the way to go. My Necrons all have white shoulder and hip plates, as well as white Destroyer and Tomb Spyder bodies, and I base everything black. Just used thinned coats. It takes longer to coat it completely white, but it will come out much smoother than straight from the bottle. Small, tiny areas (like the Necrons hip plates) you can probably do in one coat from the bottle, only because the are is so small.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easiest and i think quickest way to paint white
    snakebite leather or any of the lighter browns
    bleached bone
    skull white,
    covers evenly and the bone gives quite a good shading underneath the white
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer
    The quote is "in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war",
    NOT "in the grim darkness of the far future, there are these little, fat, drunken goits with beards!"
    WELL SAID, NO MORE SQUATS THEY ARE DEAD GET OVER IT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning how to paint a good "white" is the holy grail of miniature artists.

Here is a good technique, though time consuming, provides an excellent result, without looking glossy.

1. Primer Black
    2. Base Coat 25% White / 75% Black ( Dark Grey )
    3. Thinned Coat 50% White / 50% Black ( Medium Grey )
    4. Thinned Coat 75% White / 25% Black ( Light Grey )
    5. Thinned Coat 90% White / 10% Black ( Near White )
    6. Highlight 95% White / 5% Black ( Almost White )
    7. Final Highlight 100% White

End results should look like this.

That pic is from Mike Sawada&#39;s excellent Tau army. Google his name and check out the rest of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For clean, bright white you want to go with the grey/white combo. Keep in mind that there is a rather fine line between white and over-highlighted grey.

My recipe for "clean" white uses only white and a very, very light grey like Vallejo silver-grey or its equivalent, and perhaps 1-2 shades darker for the occasional crevice/fold etc. Unfortunately, painting white well, much like black, is more a matter of application than color choice.

Dre3013 :ph34r:
    With the lights out, it's less dangerous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey i paint white tau and i have the same problem, my undersuits are regal blue so i just need 1 coat, for the white i start off with covering ALL of the armour even the creases with codexgrey, then i paint a coat of fortress grey ofer the codex but this time not in the creases, for the white i water min down a little first and then i just paint it over the fortress grey and again not in the creases, somethimes i water the white down too much and it requires a second coat, but it looks whiter,trust me a white tau army properly painted looks awesome on the table,
    p.s. i have only been collecting any warhammer for about 2 months so with the help of the GW guys i got my FW looking awesome. also if youare painting the armour white i paint without the arms glued on because there is less to get paint on accidentaly
    Fear the Wrath of the ANZAC Clan

+ Reply to Thread