Getting Good Photos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to get some pics of my necron paint scheme (see the painting white thread) but I can't get any closeups that are in focus. I use the still-life setting on the camera, have adequate lighting, but everything comes out all blurry still...any suggestions?

Here's what they look like:

It's not as apparent in the warrior pic, but that's out of focus pretty bad too, and forget seeing any of the details. No idea how to fix this.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick Of Seeing More People.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I am by far not the best at taking pictures with a digital camera. That said I have come a long way with the quality of my pictures.

Here are some suggestions that I have found to be very helpful:

1. Most important! Make sure you use Macro mode. Some camera's are better than others with their Macro features - but not using a macro mode will net you fuzzy pictures up close.

2. Lighting. Almost as important as using a Macro mode - you need really good lighting. It has been recommended that 2 or 3 bright lights strategically arranged should produce good effects. I currently use 2 100W shop lights. I place one behind and above the model and the 2nd one to the front and below.

3. Picture quality. You can usually adjust the picture quality on a digital camera. The higher the quality the less shots you have on the card - however the picture will be clearer. I have recently starting shooting my pictures in a .tif format and then converting them over to jpg after I adjust the color and resize them.

4. White balance. Most camera's have white balance settings. I find however that using a program like adobe photoshop to correct the white balance works equally as well. If the white balance is off you tend to get yellow, red, or blue tinted pictures.

There are other things you can look at such as manually setting the f-stop and aperature settings on the camera - but in general you can get decent shots by looking at the areas I addressed above. I have read about some people using light boxes (specially constructed or store bought boxes) to diffuse the light. I am interested in trying one and i am thinking about building one to use.

Hope this was somewhat useful.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread