Realistic Rocks! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to build some great looking rocks with starta in (layers) here's how...

Get some thickish card 1mm-2mm should do. (mounting board may be a bit too thick) I use the backing card out of paper reems)
    Make a template -for basics lets start with a crecent shape about 4 inches across.
    Copy that template a minimum of anout 6 times.
    Cut out your shapes. you dont have to be acurate here and its prolly best if you reduce each shape slightly.
    Stick your sections together with some PVA glue.
    Let it set.
    Carve into the glued boards with a sharp blade. (Get some respobsible to do this if you are not allowed to use sharp knifes.)
    Once you happy with the general shape sand it a bit if required.
    Paint dark grey (almost black) Let dry.
    Lightly dry brush in light grey and white.
    Wash in dark colour again. Let dry.
    Dry brush again.
    Add grass if you want... no glue just blob a small bit of paint on and poor some flock directly on to it... Let dry... clean up with some dark washes etc.
    This proccess can be used for grave stones, tombs anything stone realy- looks great.
    Start off small... this process can be time consuming.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x4)

If its time consuming, why not go for the insulation foam, hot wire cutter,
    and sanding block method?

Saves time but it does seem really cool. Might want to keep that
    to other small projects.
    -HONORABLE MENTIONS IN BLITZKRIEG PAINTING COMP-
    "THAT I.G. GUY WITH THAT OVERDEVELOPED TRIGGER FINGER"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not tring to be rude but if you want realistic looking rocks. . . . why not use real ones?? Unless your taking about like the eqvilant of a mountain on the board then I could see you don't want really rocks. But if you making walls or boulders on the board the real thing works best I think!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is that you cant decide how the rock is shaped and also wich colour it is. therefor ppl prefer styrofoam ones. You can make it the shape you want it and the colour +it aint that heavy while transporting.

However with that statement out of the way, I would say listen to ArchonBjorn. He has a really good tendency to not say stupid things and give bad advice.
    Learn from yesterday.
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow
    -Archonbjorn-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be a pain, but rocks ain't grey - at least not the ones you tend to see. Even 'grey' rocks aren't as cold as 'pure' grey. For a really good grey rock, do a 50/50 with a muted brown, like Graveyard Earth, and build up from that. I'm currently working on some nice cliffs with proper sedimentary layers, Iron oxide streaks and patches, and various other erosion effects - I just found some photos of a trip to Switzerland, and some of those alpine mountains really make rocks look interesting!

You can also do a nice Volcanic rock with Black and Scorched Brown, taking it up to a light Drybrush of Scorched Brown - particularly effective when you do a snow effect across it.

A cool Blonde Sandstone I just used for my Hobbit holes was Vomit Brown, Flesh wash, then built back to Bleached Bone.

I just feel that if I see another Codex Grey stone I will go mad. Even adding some dark blue tones will make it look like Blue slate.

+ Reply to Thread