My First Ultramarine - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes that's right, my first space marine! I actually finished this more than a month ago, but I never got myself to post these images until now. I would love to know what you think. I used this guy to test how easy/hard it would be to reach areas with the shoulder pads and backpack on, as well as to see how well UM blue covers and things like that. The rest of my squad is about 85% done, and once I finish them, I will post pics of em. Please comment, I want to know what you guys think.

EDIT: Woops! Heres the links.
    http://gallery.librarium-online.com/displa...e.php?pos=-2456
    http://gallery.librarium-online.com/displa...album=278&pos=0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking good! The only exeption is the paint looks too thick...
    Meh

Senior Member Bobby_Wokkerfella's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Try to water down your paints a little as well.
    I like the red bolter casing, but I think it would be better as a darker red.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very nice. Where is the paint is to thick?
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>can&#39;t you handle a triple</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shas&#39;O&#39;M&#39;Yen &#064; Feb 27 2005, 04:04)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well said</div>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry guys, it&#39;s the cruddy photography. I was actually very careful to keep it thin. It doesnt look thick in real life.

I may repaint my bolters a darker red, but I like the red. It&#39;s a contrast to the blue. Black just seems very bland to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

For what its worth here is my .02:

I don&#39;t think I need to comment on the thickness of paint as it has already been stated.

Your painting is clean and for game quality figures they are very nice. There are a few places where the gold is hitting the blue on the shoulderpad but otherwise very clean.

something doesn&#39;t sit quite right with the blacklining. It looks like you weren&#39;t quite sure about using it and didn&#39;t do the whole model. There isn&#39;t anything wrong with blacklining (though I personally prefer darklining - using a darker color other than black) but with areas such as under the kneepad and shoulder joints (in the 2nd picture) it comes across as dirty.

There is a blue smudginess to the bulbous ends of the jetpack. They don&#39;t quite sit right. There should be lighter replections towards the top rather than the dark smudge areas.

As for the casings I would have recommended going with black to match the new ultramarine scheme. you started with the gold instead of yellow and it would have been nice to see this carried through. This is a minor detail and doesn&#39;t really matter too much. I agree that if you were to use red that it should be darker. I would suggest a brown ink wash over the base color and maybe not highlight up too orange. This will keep a nice rich red color.

the lens on the scope is not convincing. The bottom or upper portion (depending on how you are showing the light source reflection off the lens) needs to be much darker. I would have started with a base of black, taken the darkest blue in a crecent across 25% of the lens (leaving a line of black at the edge) and then highlighted up. Also a drop of gloss enamel will work wonders on it as well.

It would have been nice to see chapter markings, ranks, and other markings - though i do like the writing on the purity seal. I also like how your base turned out. the stone looks good. I agree that it clashes with the green around the edges. I prefer to leave them black but that is a personal choice.

Great start for sure. Keep it up.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cleaned up the shoulder trim over and over. First time gold went onto blue. Then the blue got onto gold. It kept going like that. I decided eventually that this is a gaming piece so I had to stop. I forgot the blacklining on a few spots.

I don&#39;t understand what you said about the jetpack, Slorak.

About the lenses, I&#39;m going to repaint them after I finish the rest of the squad. I did a terrible job on that one. :blush:

I did put chapter markings after I took the photo. This was a photo for my blog, and I never bothered to update them. Some day I&#39;ll post new ones with the decals. So far my priority is first finishing the rest of the squad, though. It&#39;s taking forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

advice: use a goblin green or something for the lens, it looks cool.

nicely painted, but I&#39;m not fond of the UM&#39;s blue-ness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Originally posted by gundamfan@Mar 8 2005, 10:58

I don&#39;t understand what you said about the jetpack, Slorak.

[snapback]347206[/snapback]
    What I was talking about with the jetpack was the lightest color looks like it was put over a darker color and was too thin. It looks to have run into the recesses creating a light area where there should be shadow as well as leaving a "smudgy" area of dark towards the top where it should be lighter.

At any rate as for gaming pieces - this one is very clean. I hope the rest of your squad turns out well.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, I drybrushed the pack brown to symbolize all the gunk that shoots out of the vents. Wouldn&#39;t it get dirty? I&#39;ll take a closer look...

Originally posted by Havock@Mar 8 2005, 12:19
    nicely painted, but I&#39;m not fond of the UM&#39;s blue-ness.
    [snapback]347280[/snapback]
    lol, They&#39;re the ultramarines. They&#39;re supposed to be blue&#33; :rofl:

EDIT: Made the quote better. Added timestamp and user name.

+ Reply to Thread