Painting White - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Painting White

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been trying lately to get the marines in my whitescar unit to look right....

Long story short : They don't. They look far too...chalky. Nothing flows smoothly.

I've tried watering the paint a bit, but that doesn't particularly work. It either looks rather chalky or it doesn't cover well enough.

Suggestions? This is driving me nuts ^^

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you working over a black undercoat? Because if you are dont, that will help

What exactly do you mean by chalky?
    Armies:
    [40k] - Dark Eldar
    ========================================
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...-Signature.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chalky as in it feels...uneven, for a lack of better terms.

It's texture is not as smooth as I believe it should be. And yes, black was my undercoat...I should try codex grey?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should water down the paint a little and use as many coats until it looks good. You have to have a lot of patience to do this, or it doesn't look like it covered good like you said happened when you watered it down. And don't water it down too much or else it will take for ever to make it look good. One thing that might be wrong is if your white is old, it might be getting thick. If this is the case then add a little bit of water to the paint pot.
    <-- that room over there in my avatar is full of people who think you are funny...BURN...

"There are some who call me...Tim?" - Tim the Enchanter

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about using a white undercoat? Or use Grey, but use thin layers dont double up on layers at a time, water it down, paint it on, let it dry. THen do it again
    Armies:
    [40k] - Dark Eldar
    ========================================
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...-Signature.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Also what paints are you using? Believe it or not the brand of paint you use can really play a big part on how it looks. Craft paints tend to be chalkier and have bigger pigments. While paint specifically designed for miniatures (GW, Vallejo etc.) have much finer pigments and are usually a lot smoother.

As for thinning paint you want to thin to a consistency of cream. Paint that is older or slightly on the dry side will go on uneven and give a "chalky" look. You might want to look at other things to thin your paint such as flo-aid and extenders. If you are priming black it is a good idea to go over the area in a light grey that you are eventually going to get to white.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

white is really hard to paint over black. I wouldn&#39;t even consider doing it sometimes it wrecks the model.
    <span style='color:green'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>THE REAL SHADOW ELF IS HERE&#33;&#33;</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>The tyranids will rip you to peices as soon as they rip your friends</span></span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by shadow elf49@Mar 22 2005, 03:57
    white is really hard to paint over black. I wouldn&#39;t even consider doing it sometimes it wrecks the model.
    [snapback]358333[/snapback]
    If you do layered light coats over black primer it will turn out just fine.
    This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick Of Seeing More People.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I paint White with a Fortress Grey basecoat and the Skull White, and usually one coat does it. Also use GW or any other modelling paints as they are specifically (?) designed for models.

+ Reply to Thread