painting zombies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    1 (x0)

painting zombies

hello, i have a black primed regiment of zombies and want to start to paint them but dont know how. can anyone give me the correct colours to use for a typical zombie and some instuction on how to go by painting them. i would also appreciate some pictures to compare and to use as a vistual.

thanks alot

2. Remove Advertisements

Long Beach, CA
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Unfortunately the models that I have painted up I don't have anymore or the pictures are too poor to illustrate much of anything. However here are some suggestions:

First and foremost there isn't a "right" way to paint zombies - but rather several methods that can be used to bring out interesting effects.

I would start out with a base of pale flesh for the skin. I have found pale flesh to be a good base for glazing on different colors as it is quite light. If you are going for a greener skin you may want to use a dead flesh color.

Now for the fun part. I would experiment with ink glazing to get some interesting tones to the flesh. You could use a very watered down purple, purple/brown mix, brown, blue, etc.
    The key is to keep the ink watered down as you want only a faint color transition. If you want it darker it is easy enough to apply a few coats until you get the desired effect.

You can start to re-highlight by mixing in the pale flesh with a touch of the ink tone up to a final color highlight you are looking for.

Another intersting thing to try would be to go for a mottled look. maybe various areas are rotting faster than others or some areas are diseased. Mix it up for a nice grotesque look.

This should give you a start in making some interesting looking undead. Don't be afraid to experiment as this is how you will find some amazing ways to get your zombies to look cool.

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread