Basecoats... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Basecoats...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basecoats...

Okay, new to WH40k... and looking for some advice.

In base-coating any miniature, what is the process you guys use?

I mean, do you just use a spray base-coat and let that dry, THEN begin painting over that? Or do you brush on the base-coat at all?

Spraypainting the base-coat on seems to be much easier, but does the paint hold up to being painted over and resit flaking...?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Spray the suckers...

It's a complete waste of time to hand-paint the base coat. By spraying you can undercoat 100 minis in less time than it would take to undercoat 1 by hand.

Once the minis are dry you can always give the parts that the spray missed (there are always some) a little touch by hand.

To sum up: NEVER base coat by hand! It's a waste of time and paint and your brush will get worn and ruined by it in the long run.

-Rob
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Definity agree with BobaHat. I have undercoated too many minis by hand and destroyed so many brushes. Invest in the spray paint its worth in the long run

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No kidding. Specailly for tanks. Forgot to buy my DA green with my razorback. Man that was a pain to do once i got it primed.

Even if you 'base coat' by had at least use a generic spray on primer, it really does make a difference (since i didn't used to prime models early on I can say this with experience, PRIMER HELPS!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

242 (x6)

Yea dont get me started about doing my landraider. Undercoating and painting by brush. If it wasnt such a cool model i would have given up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehe... I remember when I dropped my figures in my colors in the beginning b4 I didn't find these wonderful sprays... And remember: While spraying, keep a GREAT distance from them, don't just keep the spray bottle like 1 cm from them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Heck with my old army I couldn't use sprays for the colour (the Undivided parts were Night Lords), it was not funny having to paint every vehicle (including LR) by hand! Wait... I still have that problem with my IW...:cry:
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Closed Thread