Librarium Online Forums banner

Sprays

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Yentz 
#1 ·
I have had 3 previous cans of GW Chaos Black spray, for undercoating. They were brilliant, worked very well, lasted ages.
I bought another one today, and noticed that it was alot thinner than usual. (Yes, I did shake the can enough, and hold the model at the usual distance, the same as the cans I had before). So the only thing I can think of is that GW is cost cutting some more, by watering down the spray a bit.

I could be wrong, and just got a dud can, but has anyone else noticed the same recently?

I state again, I could be wrong, so don't flame me.

#2 ·
What were the weather conditions when you were using it. Humidity levels and temperature can really play a big part on the quality of paint that comes out of a spray can. Make sure you are within the guidelines listed on the label. If it is too cold/hot too much/not enough humidity it will effect the paint.

Cheers,

-Mike

#4 ·
KingBurriss said:
really?
I never knew that...
well, it was evening, and I was outside, so it was fairly cold. It hadn't rained all day, so i'm not sure of the humidity as such. Thanks though, I'll save the spray for the daytime!
Is there any way I can can get the Chaos Black spray to stick to metal models better? I undercoated my Havocs and their Autocannons/Missile Launchers yesterday evening and all it did was give them a black ink wash.

#5 ·
That happens to me, ive steered away from metal models recently because of chipping etc but as im going to collect an Aspect Warrior heavy Eldar army i suppose ill need some help with that too...

#6 ·
Zveroboy said:
Is there any way I can can get the Chaos Black spray to stick to metal models better? I undercoated my...
Chaos Black spray paint is not black primer.

As the first coat to touch metal, you should be using primer, not paint. For chip resistance you really want a base of primer. They are formulated different. If you're just spraying them with paint then any color performs pretty much the same; poorly.

#7 ·
WolfRaider said:
Chaos Black spray paint is not black primer.

As the first coat to touch metal, you should be using primer, not paint. For chip resistance you really want a base of primer. They are formulated different. If you're just spraying them with paint then any color performs pretty much the same; poorly.
That might be why then ^_^

#8 ·
Ways to prevent chipping..
1. Wash your model with soap and hot water. Often times, casting release is still on the models, and this will cause the paint to chip.
2. Spray the model with a good primer. GW is good, but extreemly overpriced. By far the best primer for its cost is Dupli-color sandable primer. It is an automobile primer, and you can find it in most auto-part stores. It comes in Black, White, Grey and Red Oxide. It goes on thin enough so that it does not mar detail, but still gets rid of the casting imperfections. I personally like it better than the GW primer, as the GW primer, in my opinion is to rough, and can cause some problems. And its 4$, more than half of what GW costs.
3. Prime in good weather conditions. Humidity plays a very big role in how a primer works. If the weather is bad, prime them outside, but then rush them inside to a well ventilated part of the house.
4. Always use a varnish when finished. My favorite is to do 1-2 coats of Kyrlon Matte, than follow that with 1 coat of Testors Dullcoat.

#12 · (Edited)
in canada they dont sell any more GW sprays.

So i would like to know what spray do you guys recomend(white and bnalck), as in from what company, and if it can be found in hobby or hardware store
Dupli-Color Sandable Primer. Best damn primer on the market. I don't know if they sell it up in canada, but seeing as how most American products are sold there and vice-versa, I would assume so. Look for it in auto-part stores, such as Shucks, or the canadian equivilent. Oh, side note though, the Dupli-color is best used on metal models. I don't know how well it does on plastics, but it works beautifully on metal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.