Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Thought I would share my latest project. I am currently working on a commission for 2 Zombie dragons and I have been experimenting with a new technique. I want to keep the colors muted and dull to make for a more brooding piece. For the skin and wings I decided to try a glazing technique with water color ink.
I don't have much to show right now as I just started but here is what I have. As I get further along I will post some updated pictures as well as better quality ones!
At any rate here is the technique that I have started. First I primed white, following this I started with a watered down light grey water color ink on the whole body and wings. To the body i added some green ink to the grey and deliberately patched it onto the skin. This was followed by a purple/redish brown ink patching. I will continue to highlight the body up in a darker shade of grey to a very light grey and add some more glazing to finish it off.
for the wings I started with a grey/purple glaze and added a 2nd layer of purple/redish brown, followed by a redish brown glaze. This will be lightened with a very light grey to allow the color to bleed through.
I am still working on Dragon 2 and he has not been primed yet.
Frontal shot of Dragon 1:
Base detail of Dragon 1:
Wing detail of Dragon 1:
Last edited by slorak; October 18th, 2005 at 18:45.
Nice :cool: I like the blending of the wings and the scales. The base is also cool.
What would you do if a Carnifex "meow'ed" at you.
Some pictures of my models
Very nice - I'm liking it a lot thus far. Kind of hard to see a lot in the first picture (lots of shadows), but the second picture of the wing really shows it off -- I like the coloration a lot on the wings and skin. Can't wait to see finished pics.
I am hoping to get more work in tonight and definitely tomorrow. Sorry about the pics they were kind of spur of the moment and definitely not under good lighting conditions.
I too am very happy with the initial look of the water color ink. I think the pale tinting that they have been doing works well for "undead" flesh! I should hopefully have better pics up this weekend.
There are a couple of other WIP pictures of the other dragon up on my website.
Mucho Bueno Slorak! I think this'll be one that you'll definitely to post on your website when finished. Thanks for the wing shot...it gives me ideas!
I hear voices...and they don't like you!
How watered down are the inks you use for the glazes, slorak? Just out of curiosity -- it seems like a pretty effective technique.
The inks come in a dropper bottle - my thinning solution is in a similar type of drop bottle so rough estimate would be:
4 drops ink to 12 drops thinning solution
My thinning solution is a mix of extender, future floor wax, and water
The main reason I kept the ink so thin was so that I could gradually build up the colors. It is hard to see in the pictures but there are subtle hints of the previous layers still visible. Also i would rather have to do several layers rather than apply something that is too rich in pigment and ruin the effect!
I cant wait to see the finished product. Can't see the entire model well, but I really like the colors you've chosen it looks alot more zombie-like. The wings have a good blend on them and the claw/horns of the wings have a good bone look to them by having the black in the recceses.
Space Wolves- 4,000 pts
Dwarves in progress
Last edited by slorak; October 18th, 2005 at 18:46.
Very nice Slorak! I love the base, and the texture on those wing membranes look like real rotten skin! This is great!
Ave Dominus Nox!