Freehand - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freehand

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Freehand

Now, I'm not amazing painter - like I seen around here - but I would like to try my hand at freehand stuff. But I've no real know how of what's the best way to do it or anything, so I was wondering -

Does anyone have any tips?

Any good advice on the subject? I would like to make my dwarfs and high elves that bit different, and as I can give them banners with a nice big area to paint on I figured I'd like to try and fill it with something other than a big rune or two.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, but if there's any guides floating about or anything I'd be mightly grateful if you'd point me in their direction - or just general tips.

Thanks.

KU

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By free hand what do you meen? Like home made banners?

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Umm.. free hand. Banners, icons, patterns etc.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest using one of those real thin paint markers, Ive even used a sharpe on something once maybe it was eyes... cant rememer. Im not to good at free hand ( mainly because my hand writing is terrible ) but try thin paint marker and just write like you would on paper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't have a pen with the colour you want you could use a .7mm lead pencil. Just dip the tip into your paint pot and use it to paint lines accurately. It always works for me on fine detail work.
    You call those cheap implants boobs?
    They aren't boobs, they're lies!

http://download.theforce.net/theater...orkman_480.mov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read some stuff about this on other sites. Brushes, normally, are too wavy to accurately do free-hand, so you can just dip them in superglue (carefully, you only get one try) to make them hard, kinda like those old-time quill pens. Then it's easier to apply paint. either use extender or quickly apply it, though, as the brush doesn't really absorb paint any more and the paint will dry quickly. Also, to get a nice blended effect, you should use many layers. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

A good way to start is by drawing a light outline with a mechanical pencil. go over with black ink. Follow this up with whatever color you plan on using leaving just the hint of black for sharp contrast. If you make any mistakes you can go back carefully with the underlying color and dot out the area you messed up in. It is time consuming but the pay-off will be worth the investment.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread