Getting Going With An Airbrush - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Getting Going With An Airbrush

I've recently brough an Airbrush and a selection of Tamia paints & Thinners which I intend to use to paint my Imperial Guard Armoured Co.

When testing out the colour of the paints using a brush, they seemed, even after a good stirring, to be extremely thin and unable to cover almost anything.

I am lead to believe that paints must be thinned by aprox 50% when being used in an airbrush, but my dilemma is in the fact that the paints are already so thin that thining them further seems ludicrous.

Could anyone give me some advice on using the Airbrush, ideally with Tamia paints, and offer some idea of the thinning ratio or if indeed the paints need thinning at all.

Regards,
    Wolfkin

Army:

Terminator Based Custom Chapter

http://www.terrascenic.co.uk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I don;t have much experience with airbrushes, but I know when using Citadel or Humbrol paints they need to be thinned down to about the consistency of milk. If they seem thin you could try leaving the top off overnight and let some of the water/thinner evapourate off.
    Current Projects:
    - Watch this space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paint covers much better when sprayed than when brushed. Think about it, as you wipe the paint on with a brush, you are also wiping it off. Paint thinned for airbrushing is much thinner than that for brushing, but most of the carrier will evaporate before it ever gets to the model and leave just the pigment. Practice with the airbrush to figure out the technique that you will need to get the results that you want.

BTW, the Tamiya acrylics that I have are totally worthless for brush application but they work much better from an airbrush.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Thanks both.

On a further point, I currently don't have a compressor and will be using a large can (750ml, about a foot tall) of propellant. Any idea the kind of life expectancy I might expect from it?
    Army:

Terminator Based Custom Chapter

http://www.terrascenic.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used one of those cans for a while and hated every minute of it. First, it will run out right in the middle of a paintjob, guaranteed, and right after you filled up your paint cup. Second, they freeze up and provide inconsistent pressure in my experience. Third, you can't adjust the pressure for different effects. Most basic airbrush compressors don't have this option either, but a standalone regulator isn't that expensive and you can add a moisture trap at the same time.

If you want good results, it will be worth the investment to get a basic compressor. I bought one from a hobby shop for less the $100. I'm sure you can get one off eBay for much less. If you get to a point that you no longer need/want it, you can sell it to recoup some of your investment.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

+ Reply to Thread