SM scout/recon tank conversion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SM scout/recon tank conversion

Alright, for my scouting force of dark angels scouts, i am supporting them with 2 predators, probably destructor varients at this point in time (I'll probably buy extra turret sprues and swap em out when needed)

My conversion plans for these two, nearly identical, tanks are actually quite tame for the most part. I'm going to get FW spaced armour for them, and do the generic vehicle extras that everyone does (smoke, stormbolters, etc.)

Now since these tanks are part of a scouting/recon force they are forward deployed, independent, and cut off from the main logistical supply chains. I want to modify the tanks to look like it accordingly.

My conversion plans and reasoning:

I will paint a camo scheme onto only the extra spaced armour plateing. Darkangels green is a nice dark green, but i want it to look riged for its role without killing the standardized paintscheme for marine tanks. Since most marine tanks don't have spaced armour equiped standard, i figure is a blank canvas for me to indulge my painting whims on.

I'm using the 'hedge cutter' from the razor back sprue to act like a dozer blade but only for foliage.

I'm going to make several 'rolls' of camo netting by taking a veil-like fabric (think of it like cloth in the shape of graph paper lines, with each open square being a millimeter or two apart) and lightly flocking it with various gress and leaf like flocks.
    -- I will put these 'rolls' on the top of the edges of the tank and around the top of the turret so it looks like it is ready to be dropped into place.

Next, because they will be away from the main force i want to model external fuel tanks. check here: http://forgeworld.games-workshop.com/fw_baneblade.asp to see a picture of a baneblade with similar external tanks to what i am talking about (those big oil drums on the back of the tracks are them)

The predator is alot smaller then the bandeblade so those sized barrels would be WAY TO HUGE to look right. I think most of the oil barrels in the GW scenery sprues will also be rather big for this role, although i haven't seen them in a while so i'm not sure. Also, the spaced armour limits the placement of such fuel tanks. I had thought about just using gas cans from the scenery and razor back sprues (there is a picture of that in the SM codex) but those wouldn't really due for what i want.

Any thoughts? Suggestions or alternative ideas? Please let me know what you think and if there is anything else that will add to the 'forward recon' feel i am trying for.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as fuel barrells are concerned try going to your local electrical supply store and giving a close look at Flourescent lamp starters. You should be able to purcahse them for under $1 US a piece and they should be about the right size.

I've got so many conversion ideas that use them it's a disgrace Chaos armys are so basic.

Uncle Jesse

Closed Thread