New to painting..need a few tips. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to painting..need a few tips.

Hi,

Well some of you probably read my post on the general discussion about the White Scar army i wanna try.

Im a newbie..and have no experience playing WH40k OR painting figurines. So I was hoping to get some tips to make things easy on myself.

I want to avoid going into alot of detail at this point..but at the same time I dont want my Army to look like its straight off the website. So..I want some originality..but not so much that I kill myself trying to paint my figures. According to pictures ive seen..White Scars are 95% white..with a a bit of red on the shoulderpads. Id like to change that to about 70% white..with black shoulderpads, some black on the chest, and black on the boots.

I wanna make my armor shine .. whats the trick to making shiny armor? (basicly..when do you gloss it)

Can spraypaints be used? if so..any recommendations on brands and colors to use?

is painting a figure, then stripping it clean and painting it again a bad idea? knowing that if i mess up i can just strip it and start over would make me a lot more comfortable when im trying to do this

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Just to say dont try and strip any plastic models with acetone very very messy but it works great for metal minis. Maybe someone else has a method to strip plastic minis but i havent heard of one yet.
    Trying painting the chest eagles black and do go with the black rims on the shoulder pads different companies in codex armies have different colour rims as far as i know.
    But dont over do it on the black you still want to know that they are WS and not some bike riding black templars?
    They are just my ideas

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok just a tip, try to refrain from using inks. Most of the time they just mess up the model, although it usually gives a glossy colour that might be what you want. Try it yourself.
    About what brands of paint to use, don't ask me. Obviously there are many meanings on that subject at this page...

Chin chin!
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's a great link if you need some painting tips: http://www.paintingclinic.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See how it appears as though their armor is shiny.. how did he do that? does he have a light shining on them..or did he paint the glare in? if he painted it..whats the trick? [/img]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    414 (x8)

maybe he uses varnish spray..
    Blackhat's new blog network for terrain crafters!
    www.terraincrafters.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

yep, varnish spray. I have it too, but normally I only use it on metal minis.
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally never liked the look that the varnish puts on models. The 40,000th sounds dark, and rustic looking. Not a place for shiney metals. Everything would look battered, and used. Refer to the finish on these guys Khorne Berzerkers. The brass is just the finish given by the metallic paints. The rest of the armour looks like the guys have seen their fair share of battle.

My tips:

I&#39;m still new to painting (starting to get highlighting down. Oh ya&#33; ) and the best tip I can offer you is to go down to your GW store. It&#39;s good to read about how certain techniques are done, but you should go down there and have them show it to you afterward. I go an hour before closing, so the store is pretty empty, and all the staff are just sitting there, painting and talking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didnt use varnish on that mini its just the strong light source. I&#39;m kinda ashames of how I painted those bikes because I know I can do much better now. The green part are goblin green washed with green ink, and the black parts chaos black hl with codex grey. Keep in mind I painted these about 2 years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x4)

Well i use inks ALOT, and i hate glossy armor. Like when i paint my Khorne Berzerkers: First they are undercoated black, then i paint them in Scab Red, then i wash them with watered down black ink, then i drybrush scab red over them. This gives them the dark, experienced look i want. But the main ink i use is Black Ink, i use them on swords, bolters and basically any metal surface i want to be dark and rugged (but its always thinned)

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast