Librarium Online Forums banner

GW Jungle Trees

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  CCchips 
#1 ·
Okay, here's the deal. I have a bunch of sprues on the GW issue jungle trees from the Tau Battleforces that I purchased, but everytime I try to put them together, them look bad. And when I say bad I mean people-actually-laugh-out-loud-when-they-see-them bad. The ones in the 40K rulebook look awesome, and I was wondering if anyone has had good luck putting them together and could write me a quick tutorial.

Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
the ones in the book have been both messed with and painted by the 'Eavy, Metal' teem. GWs professional modelers/painters. If they look that bad the way you put them together you will not be able to get those kind of results anytime soon. I would recommend trying some rocky scenery first then moving on to harder things like plants.

#4 ·
Well, it just bugs me that I have these sprues just sitting around, but every single tree I try to make looks like it rides the short bus in the jungle. I'll try em again this weekend and post the results.

#13 ·
Check out aquarium plants. They have all different kinds to use. Also check out fake flowers and other fake plants. Many can be cut up for use in war-gameing.
I find that aquarium plants and fake mini plants (the cute ones) look very realistic and are cheap, but the best part is that you don't have to do anything with them! No painting, no modelling, etc. Just take em out of the pack and they're ready to go. Also go have a quick look in your local hobby stor (not GW), there are other tabletop wargames out there and some have some really good terrain. Stay away from the buildings though, since they are most likely not to scale with GW models (they tend to be too small).

#6 ·
i dont think he cares about having plants, he just want to make the ones he got with his stuff, and thats all. Celestial i feel your pain, i dont even think i assembeled them right cuz they lookes so bad...

#7 ·
And now for something completely different

I'm planning on using a spare mid-size jungle tree leaf thingy for an unusual conversion. On a Tau figure, I'm going to put the leaf thingy on the barrel of the gun, points forward, use green stuff to make an energy blast-type thingy, paint the whole thing blue and make it look sorta like the Tau Pulse Rifle art. (Make it look like the gun's firing)

Basically what I'm saying is that the jungle tree pieces would make good blasts. Try them on guns or engines if you don't feel like making trees. It wouldn't be hard to do something cool even without green stuff.

#8 ·
That has to be the craziest thing I have ever heard. :p

Kidding. I used a clear flying base for the blast of a railgun.

#11 ·
Never fear, Slash is here!

I've learned from using these trees, that moderation is called for.
It may seem like a good idea to make big trees with lots of branches, but with the GW Jungle Trees, thats not always a good idea. Sure, 'Eavy Metal can pull it off, thats what they get paid to do. But for the rest of us people who don't want to convert a tree, it's easier to stick with shorter plants, with less branches than we would like.
Heres one I made. It only has one offshoot branch, and a few leaves:

I think the tree sets were designed to be made into Bamboo-like plants, as the more branches you add, the more fake it looks.

X-Slash-X

#12 ·
I can idenitfy with this one, mine ended up looking like circus freak trees, I don't really use them much.

I'm trying to move back towards having more "landscape" scenery (hills, trees, rivers etc) so I will be looking into trees again, but I think I'll be getting one or two of the new Citadel Woods rather than bothering with these!

But if you want to use them I suggest you spray them black and paint them as you would a mini, and base them on a base with extra details on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.