Cleaning paintbrushes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cleaning paintbrushes

I'm getting really annoyed at cleaning the paint off my brushes with water. It simply does not work, at least not efficiently - I'm finding I'm spending about half my time simply trying to get all the paint out. Surely there's got to be a better way... how does everyone else do it?

I was thinking maybe having a small cup of turps and dipping the brushes into it might do the trick, but apparently turps isn't any use on wet acrylic paint, and I'm also kinda worried that it might damage my paintbrushes.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I always have used water in a cup but for my tank brush I put it under running water. And then wipe it off throughly. Im not sure about that turps stuff :confused:
    By day he fought with sword and shield.....
    By night he fought with pen and parchment.....
    He was....The Warrior Poet.......

Fear the ANZAC Clan!!!!!

ORDER OF THE SHADOWY FLAME!!!

Do you have uber micro...????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I have a jar that I got at a local art supply store. In it is a metal coil that is excellent fro disloging paint from a brush I fill the jar with water and liquid brush soap and then gently run the brush across the coils. If I am not using the brush for awhile I will wedge it between the coils so that it stays submerged until I need it. Seems to work good. I also use a bar soap to create a nice point on the brushes when I am done with them.

cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More often

It sounds like your not cleaning your brush often enough during the painting process. I usualy paint for about three minutes then clean the brush, paint three minutes clean the brush.Its a habit I've gotten into over the years.
    I have brushes that have lasted for a couple of years doing this. Of course I have been known to pay 8-10 dollars for a brush sometimes, and brush quality is very important factor for me.
    Just try cleaning the brush a little more often and see if that helps.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    "Sometimes I feel like the winner in the Aztec Lucky Virgin contest"

The Voice of Reason RJSuperfreaky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x3)

I agree with JAFO. I will paint for a few minutes and then clean the brush, even if I will be still be using the same color paint. This a) makes it easier to clean the paint each time and b) keeps the paint always going on smoothly layer after layer. I find that if I don't clean frequently, little bits of paint harden between the bristles and flake off onto the mini, giving a "cakey" look to the paint, and eventually ruin the brush. I have one detail brush (000) that I've used for over 12 years through the meticulous method I've just described, and it still gives incredible detail. Oh, and before retiring the brush, I'll roll it on my tongue and place the cover on the tip. Nothing like human saliva to keep a brush tip straight!
    Marion: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
    Indiana: It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

For the last time, there are
    NO FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread