Librarium Online Forums banner

Need help with contest, what should i enter?

983 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Cheredanine 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok guys, i need your opinion.
I want to enter an mini painting contest at my local store. But i dont know what i should enter. We can enter anything we want that is from the store. ie no forgeworld items, only 40k or fantasy, (or inquisitor, but i dont want to enter an inquisitor mini)

Conversions do not help our score.

Score is based on
1. originality of the mini's scheme (if someone painted a DIY marine chapter, and someone painted ultramarines, the DIY marine would get higher score).
2. Model's base that it sits on
3. Detail

This is only 1 single mini, no dioramas or anything.

So what are your thoughts? What mini should I get? Im stuck and out of ideas. Please help

#7 ·
Since you said conversion doesn't help your score - I would simply look for a figure that you are comfortable painting. If you are comfortable and enjoy painting a particular figure you are likely to do a much better job.

As for basing - my suggestion is to do something different than just flocking it but don't go so over the top that you detract away from the figure itself. I personally always like to try to add at least 1 subtle cool thing on the base that blends in but when looked at in detail you go - "Wow thats cool I didn't see that before!"

Cheers,

-Mike

#8 ·
Hmm, ok whilst conversion doesnt help - if it is good it will, at a subconcious level it is all but impossible for a judge to remove the impression f conversion. That said, it dont mean convert for the sake of converting.

Slorak has, IMHO hit the nail on the head - pick a mini that you are comfortable with.

As for basing, try driving by the jenova project, jenova has a really good tutorial on how to do part water bases that look spectacular, I suspect, given the current trend, everyone else will be going for the new GW flocks including snow scatter, plus people will use the WD article on water, but the Jenova one is entirely different and very eye catching. Bound to score you points

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.