Dettol as paint stripper - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dettol as paint stripper

Does anybody have any good ideas on how to effectively use Dettol (the disinfectant) as a good paint stripper? The main problem is that after its been in dettol for a couple of hours the paint turns all sludge like and sticks to whatever happens to touch it. I need a way of getting rid of the paint without making a mess because the paint often rubs on to the figure making stripping very difficult.
    If you guys have any ideas i would like to know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Hi, welcome to Librarium on line!

Why must we use detol? if you look at the top of this forum you will find a nice simple set of stickey posts on various simple toppics, one of these is stripping,

Here is the link to the post:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=24851 (Stripping)

That will tell you all you need to know to strip minis, including appropriate substances

Happy Posting
    Chered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, right i have tried A LOT of stripping materials and most just dont work. Brake fluid i dont really like because it is harmful. Simple green doest seem to work here in the UK because i had some imported and it didnt do much. The various oven cleaners too havent been very good and seemed to burn my skin so i wasnt too pleased with that. What else? Pine disinfectants too seem to be fairly useless.

Dettol however is safe and was the only liquid i have seen that can remove paint, but has a major downside that it makes a horrible mess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK personnaly I dont strip much, firm believer in getting it right first time, but try King Ulrik, he would be my best bet on this site for advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

What are you implying Cheredanine?

I have always found that nail varnish remover is very good at stripping paint and works well on plastic mini's too. Leave it in a tub for a few days and then give it a good scrubbing under a tap with a toothbrush, always works for me.
    If I were you I would try the same thing with dettol. One question though, won't your models stink of the stuff?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

Yeah but he should be OK unless they are nurgle!

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Try me? I've stripped one model ever, I'm no expert at it.

I used nail polish remover, but I found it's not good on plastic. I left my plastic base on when I stripped Valten... kinda turned into a black splodge. :blush:

Anyways...

We have a pinned thread for stripping models. Please use it.

KU

=Locked=

Closed Thread