Tyranids... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tyranids...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Tyranids...

Damn its hard to think of a good colour schem for them, I've had mine for 2 maybe 3 years now? And I still can't figure out a colour scheme that I really like. A whole bunch of my gaunts are multicolours with things I've tried.

Anyway I think I'm finally getting something I like, or at least the image is in my head I just don't know how to do it.. The main skin is going to be black, obviously I need to figure out a way to add detail to it. I drybrushed with codex grey then it was too light so I tried a blue ink, not sure how I like it..

The carapace, mostly really dark, black. Except blue at the end of the plates, and by blue I mean really light like sky blue. I'm trying to shade it going sorta dark to light, but I don't know how to do it. I tried on carni, and having half of it sort of medium blue doesn't look good at all.

I want it to have an evil wet look, so the finish will be blue ink, and a fair bit needs to be dark otherwise it looks weird. But just black looks dull. I really have no idea how to do it... Thanks for any advice.

I'll edit in a pic of my trial model in a few minutes.

Wow, a photogenic termagant

I'm quite happy with his back in that pic, it didn't seem as good in real life. Usually the opposite happens. Not really sure how I got the really dark blue look... Was it just the ink do you think? I've tried doing the same on the carnifex plate, but it doesn't look anywhere near as good.. And what to do about the rest of the body? You can see the grey on the carni, and it looks pretty crap.

BTW, I'm not a great painter, I can kinda shade but not very well at all. Mostly I rely on drybrushing and inking for detail.

Last edited by strewart; July 23rd, 2005 at 09:59.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

The pic reminds me of Tron!

In the picture the blue looks pretty nice. If you want smoother transition to the lightest blue I would suggest mixing the lightest blue with the layer you used below it to get a combination of both colors and paint that on before the lightest highlight on the edge. If you thin your paints to the consistency of cream you will get a smoother blend between the blues.

As for the darker blue tint to the main carapace. You could always take a dark blue paint and mix it with black to give a hint of blue. You could follow this up with a watered down blue and black ink wash.

For the black - so as to not have any definition you could always paint it up in shades of grey (greyscale) then tint it with watered down black ink. Thin you ink enough so that it doesn't just turn it back to black. It is better to apply a few coats of ink and get it right than 1 coat and do too much. You can even shade the upper most edges in an almost white to get a good transition. The black ink will blend it all back together.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The carapace looks really good. Yes, it does quite look like Tron with the glowiness!

I suggest a more neutral color on the rest of the body, to balance everything out. If it's all bright like that, we'd get a seizure! :lol:

If the body is supposed to be dark blue, well, I couldn't tell that it was supposed to be that way. Doesn't look quite right, ya know? Looks like you primered it black and just finished the carapace first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

If the body is supposed to be dark blue, well, I couldn't tell that it was supposed to be that way. Doesn't look quite right, ya know? Looks like you primered it black and just finished the carapace first.
    Thats exactly what I did, on the gaunt at least. Thats why I posted it, for possible suggestions of what to do with the body. I think that black with a bit of detail is going to be the way to go though.. The carnifex has other stuff on his body, but it doesn't look right either.

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep at the carnifex carapace and try to get it looking decent. Then I only have about a bazillion other nids to apply the scheme too... :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh yeah, wtf is tron? I know someone we called the tron, don't know why though. :huh:
    Last edited by strewart; July 24th, 2005 at 05:05.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by strewart
    Thats exactly what I did, on the gaunt at least. Thats why I posted it, for possible suggestions of what to do with the body. I think that black with a bit of detail is going to be the way to go though.. The carnifex has other stuff on his body, but it doesn't look right either.

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep at the carnifex carapace and try to get it looking decent. Then I only have about a bazillion other nids to apply the scheme too... :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh yeah, wtf is tron? I know someone we called the tron, don't know why though. :huh:
    This is why your model was referred to as TRONlike..... TRON PIC

The carapace looks nice. Perhaps a dark colour like scab red over black, would look good for the body.

Wolfkin
    Army:

Terminator Based Custom Chapter

http://www.terrascenic.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by strewart
    Tron was a movie from the early 80's. Some cool effects for its time!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

The Voice of Reason RJSuperfreaky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x3)

I think the carapace looks great! Very original, and it reminds me of some of the phospholuminescent fish in the deepest parts of the ocean- all black but with a little glow. I agree that having the body black would be cool. The problem with the 'fex, I think, is that you drybrushed too heavily with grey, so it ends up looking muddy and messy. Instead of drybrushing grey, did you try just highlighting the body lightly with shadow grey? It's a blue- black color that would go well with the rest of your mini. But don't drybrush it. Just highlight the raised areas lightly with some thinned- down shadow grey, and it will still look black, but with highlights!
    Marion: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
    Indiana: It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

For the last time, there are
    NO FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread