Why Is Shadow Grey Not Grey But - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this applies to
    shadow grey
    space wolves grey
    ghostly grey
    the only decent GREY like colour is codex grey!
    w-t-f?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dunno, but i guess if you wanted standard grey, you just have to mix black and white....
    I live in your eyes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good thing about BT, no grey LOL i hate trying to find grey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use Fortress Grey and Codex Grey.
    Henceforth no man shall set foot upon the world, and all around shall be set sentinals to ward away unwary spacecraft. We must accept that this place is lost to us forever, and is now the eternal habitation of abomination.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>another annoying thing i hate: 47,000 similies in one post. just thoght id throw that in there and see if anybody else hates it as much as i do.</div>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they were always intended as a nice blue-grey colour anyway.
    There is no pain you are receding
    A distant ship&#39;s smoke on the horizon
    You are only coming through in waves
    Your lips move but I can&#39;t hear what you are saying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My interpretation of events is that is an often accepted fact that black in its basest forms in any artistic venture draws any colour and light from an object.

Consequently many art schools refuse to let at least early students use black pigment in any way until they get to grips with the reality of the colour.

Grey is always mixed from other colours (perfectly easy really) and consequently you end up with colours that are a greeny grey or a bluey grey or a browny grey or whatever, these colours are easier to get good shading and highlighting for and give more depth and life to a subject - even if you are painting a concrete block life and depth is still important believe it or not as cold, severe and mechanical shades frequently just look odd.

I suspect that Shadow Grey et al were mixed to be a bluey grey because looking at - for instance marines just painted in pre heresy Spacewolves armour of battleship grey - they look like grey lumps of plastic and not miniature space soldiers.

Also I suspect the same sort of thing was true for Darkangels too, they used to be black but just black is really really dull (almost definitively so some might say) so a black-green allows for more interesting highlighting and depth of colour glowing through rather than just an absence of pigment sucking in the light and looking like a chunk of coal.

As to why they thought to present these colours as they are rather than just giving us codex grey and letting us add a dob of colour to it ourselfs I don&#39;t know. Maybe they are trying to better us in some artistic way? Maybe they realised that Codex Grey is a nothing colour and its prolonged use just kills any paint scheme stone dead? Maybe they just enjoy seeing people wriggle when they cant just pull a gobbet of paint straight from a pot and have to use a pallette instead.

Prolly the third to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have to disagree with you on the dark angels part, i think they would much better in black armour(pre-heresy)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn&#39;t disagree with you, its all just personal taste after all. I used to do Darkangels years ago so I would have had to repaint all mine form black to black-green if I hadn&#39;t just ditched all all of them instead.

Closed Thread