keeping dry brushing clean? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keeping dry brushing clean?

Ive been tinkering around a bit with a heavy dry brush, for my space wolves to give them a less blue lighter look, which works and looks good but on closer inspection it just looks messy.. is there a way to dry brush that keeps everything nice and neat?

fortune favors the brave

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really. It tends to look rough and "chalky". Couple of things to try, use more of an overbrush technique IOW don't wipe as much of the paint off on a paper towel. This will give a cleaner finish but will put a lot more paint on the mini. The second is to make sure that the paint is thinned correctly before you start. You don't need it to flow but you don't want it totally dry on the brush. Dry paint on the brush leaves the roughest finish.

For my Wolves, I use a black undercoat, a Shadow Grey overbrush and then a light SpaceWolves Grey drybrush. Using this technique I get good looking minis and can crank out a 10 man squad in an evening.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

By its very nature drybrushing is more "rough" than other painting techniques. However one thing you can do if you make mistakes is clean those areas up afterwards with a fine brush.

Another thing you could do is not drybrush at all and use another technique such as layering.

Personally I really only drybrush on the bases especially areas that I want to look like concrete. I find drybrushing to be very effective for that. Otherwise as stated already it ends up looking chalky on the figures. Also less paint on the brush will lessen the grainy look.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if this'll work or not, I haven't tried it. An ink wash of the color you want is supposed to lessen the chalky drybrushing effect if used correctly. I'm not sure exactly how the ink should be though. I got this in the Citadel miniature painting book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm... thanks ill try out some of these ideas and get back to you
    fortune favors the brave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inking will definitley lessen the chalkiness. I read so in the painting guide that GW provide and some top painters have written so on their web pages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An ink wash will also darken the washed area, which must be accounted for if you go this route.

A lot of the roughness of the drybrush effect has to do with the texture of the basecoat that you are brushing over as well. I have found that if you hold the spraycan too far from the mini, or don't apply enough primer, the surface of the primer coat ends up rough. If this is what you are working with, no amount of washes or any other techniques will result in anything other than a rough and chalky looking drybrush job. Your paintjob is only as good as the basecoat upon which it is applied.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    An ink wash will also darken the washed area, which must be accounted for if you go this route. A lot of the roughness of the drybrush effect has to do with the texture of the basecoat that you are brushing over as well. I have found that if you hold the spraycan too far from the mini, or don't apply enough primer, the surface of the primer coat ends up rough. If this is what you are working with, no amount of washes or any other techniques will result in anything other than a rough and chalky looking drybrush job. Your paintjob is only as good as the basecoat upon which it is applied.
    Too true. What I do sometimes is give the area I'm about to drybrush a thin coat of clear acrylic floor wax which smoothes out the surface I'm about to drybrush and then give the model a matte sprayed finish. This gives you a smoother drybrushing without having to resort to applying a wash. Thinning out your paint also greatly helps reduce the inherent "roughness" of the drybrushing technique.
    I hear voices...and they don't like you!

+ Reply to Thread