My scout auto cannon... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My scout auto cannon...

First, let me say that while i haven't done this yet, it was suggested to me and i believe it would work fairly easily. You can take an scout biker and mount it on an imperial guard auto cannon to make a scout autocannon model.

Now, for the conversion i am actually doing:

For my own scout auto cannon i didn't like the idea mentioned above so i stole a chaos auto cannon arm off a havoc instead. I used the same scout body as is used for the heavy bolter scout.

Modifying the cannon: The auto cannon is BIG. In fact the stock chaos cannon is EASILY taller then the scout itself. This would [not] do for me, no matter how cool it might look, so i shortened the length of the cannon by 1/3 of an inch by cutting off the front part with the chaos-ram head that has the barrel going through its mouth.

Notice there is a lower barrel, i cut that off about half an inch back where the chain holding the skull is, needless to say the skull had to go. I filed off the studs on the main gun housing and used edge cutters to remove all but the forward most spike in the top, also the chain, arm, shoulder, and that tooth hanging from the hand had to go. I left the hand in place.

I used some putty to make it look more like a marine gun, and to make the cut-off barrel look right. I also drlled out part of the barrel's bore with a pinvice set.

next i pinned the gun inplace for good measure, lots got super glue just for the hell of it, i angled it appropriately so that it doesn't look like the guy is multy jointed. also it is still a BIG GUN so its angled down like the scout is struggleing to hual it around.

I had a space sgt. naaman hand in my bits box, it had already had its auspex removed, i glued that hand inplace.

Next i have to use putty to make the arms and i rolled out a thin roll of putty that i will cut up once dry to siimulate spent shell casings that will be stren across the modle's base to give it some added character.

One last thing, i added some putty to the ammo feed reciever to get rid of what looks like a chaos-face and made the ammo reciever more angular.

I admit i am only halfway done with this conversion but it looks pretty good so far and i think it will turn out pretty well, espcially considering its not a big character.

I'll scan it once the putty dries and since there is no conversions sight on the gallery (hint hint :wink: ) I'll post the pictures on my website until its finnaly done and painted at which time i will post them in the troops section here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's an interim picture, you can see where i did the putty.

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~rmw/ScoutA.gif

I thought of puttying a series of parallel lines in the putty on the barrel just to add some misc. detail but it was already dry when i thought of that. My putty skills could use a little polishing, I'll probalbly attack it with a file and an xacto knife later on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

cheers! Looking good mate! But maybe you could shorten the thick part of the barrel and make the thin end a little longer (guess that might require you to buy another autocannon though), I think that would look even cooler.
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scouts can get autocannons?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, kinda funny how that works, but I'm not complaining

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Exactly why can't tac squads take autocannons? As Roboute Guilliman allergic for them? After all they could take them before the Heresy I think, as Chaos can take autocannons in every squad that can take a heavy weapon.
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

older marine models came with auto cannons to. I think they were first edition to. (for the record I wasn't actually playing the game when first edition was out but a friend has some older models he bought from someone second hand)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe GW thinks more players perfer the Heavy bolter with 3 shots over 2 shot autocannon. Besides, you can get a plasma gun for cheaper and it will possibly perform better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah but the autocannon easily out ranges the plasma gun and won't overheat in battle.

Perhaps in the 40k universe marines feel autocannons are out dated and not really worthy of being feiled by full marines. I mean Chaos marines have limited hvy weapons selections in that department cuz they broke off from the imperium.

By that logic then, scouts have access to autocannons because they are basically surplus from a bygone era, now only good to train scouts with. Although that leaves to question why they have autocannons on preds and dreads and so forth...

also scout options can have either heavy bolter or auto cannon, so why not giuve regular marines the same choice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heheh, regardless the only reason i am feilding one is because i don't want 3 models that are all exactly alike, and because the autocannon is different so most other people won't feild them.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast